Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 accord lx coupe lock problem! (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-accord-lx-coupe-lock-problem-43296/)

tanhanson94 10-10-2011 11:48 PM

96 accord lx coupe lock problem!

i have a 1996 accord lx coupe and my locks werent workinng so i removed the driver side door panel and the rod that connects to the lock thing is disconnected. the plastic piece that holds the rod in there is broke what should i doo??????!!!!!!????????

redbull-1 10-11-2011 12:46 AM

Is the plastic piece you are referring to shown in the first picture in this thread, which shows the door latch and actuator?

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2465699

Or are you referring to the plastic piece (IIRC, purple color or yellowish color) on the inside door handle that the rod hooks onto?

tanhanson94 10-11-2011 04:12 PM

inside door handle that the rod hooks onto. its where the rod goes like up through the little hole on the lock lever the plastic piece holding that in place is broken

redbull-1 10-11-2011 05:26 PM

Understood. Several options: salvage yard, on-line seller like Tas Auto (a sponsor on this forum), or dealer (local or on-line). I am not affiliated with Tas Auto. Other on-line dealers are like Bernardi Honda parts, Majestic Honda, etc.

Here is a link showing door handles from Tas Auto.

tasauto.com/Product/Browse.aspx?d=748&p=1

This link shows how to replace. For the plastic clip, you rotate it to get it off the rod and rotate it to get it back on. Don't pull or pry the rod until the plastic clip is rotated off the rod.

tasauto.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=41

tanhanson94 10-11-2011 11:18 PM

them handle parts isnt what i need what i need is the switch. the rod inside the door pannel goes through a hold in the bottom of the switch then the clip goes on there, but my clips broken

WheelBrokerAng 10-11-2011 11:36 PM

This was moved by me to this forum... :)

redbull-1 10-11-2011 11:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm still a little confused which clip. See attached pictures, are they shown in any of the pictures?

tanhanson94 10-12-2011 12:37 AM

okay so in the third picture i see what im talking about. if you look at the lock rod u see at the right end it kinda curves up ok, thats where it would go into the "inner lock knob" part shown in the diagram. where it goes is like behind the switch that would then be placed into the "inner handle". theres a plastic piece that holds the rod in and thats what broke on me. sorry for being such a pain haha

redbull-1 10-12-2011 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, let's see if this is it. Is the plastic piece purple (violet) or yellow? If it is, then it probably is the snap. The Honda site I looked it up is mixing up the descriptions of left vs. right side door for color.

You would get this from a Honda dealer or salvage yard.

Honda part number for the purple one is 72134-SM4-003, list price is $1.88.
Honda part number for the yellow one is 72174-SM4-003, list price is $1.88.
Local dealer many times will mark-up over list though.

tanhanson94 10-12-2011 09:34 AM

Il check it when I get home but the piece behind the door handle thats held in with two screws connected to the door inside the pannel, you lnow what I mean? could I just buy a new one of those befause part of the plastic piece that held the rod is still in the hole where the rod goes through and I tried using super glue...