General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord LX....interior lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Default 96 Accord LX....interior lights issue

Ok.. I have a couple of issues here. One - when I make a hard left turn the dome light comes on. Two - the little lights on the front driver and passenger doors that come on when you open them dont come on..I have checked the blubs (ok) and cant seem to find a blown fuse...are there other fuses Im just not looking at?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Always been doing this, since you've had the car, or is this something new that just started?...I think I remember seeing your post in the new member area not long ago.

If it has been doing this since you've had the car. Check the door switches, don't be surprised if they are not connected. Which may lead back to #1. When the light comes on, is it just for a second or two then goes off?

EDIT: I forgot to ask about the "door open" lights on the little "car picture" on the dash? Do they come on when the door opens.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM

The door open lights come on on the dash. The dome only comes on for a second when I make a hard left. I will go check the connections now and be back

Old 12-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Ok...I found that the passenger door light just needed a bulb (works fine now) The drive side light has blub that is good (check it with other door socket) but still will not come on. The connections on the door jam are connected and all other controls on the driver side door work fine. Could it be the wire gone bad?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Doorlight:You'll have to work back. If you have a meter, start with the "contacts" for the bulb, just to be sure. If the "red door" light on the dash comes on then you'll have to pull the panel and trace it back.

As far as the dome light: I was hoping the wires in one of the doors was making contact and setting/turning the dome light on. I'll give one more shot/guess (I admit when I guess and I don't like doing that/this). I personally have a 95 and once has a sim issue. I found that the drivers door would shut, seemed tight, but if I pushed it open the dome light and "door open" light on the dash came on. Had to adjust the "striker"-U shaped thing on the door pillar needed to be adjusted...working fine for the last 5+ years....hard left-check the pass side doors first-unless you lean into the drivers door during these hard turns.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Yeah..will start a trace on the wire. The passenger door light and dome come on when a barly push it from the inside and bumps in the road and left turns...see why they look the light out now...LOOL...will check the striker

Old 12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Also check the positioning of the little button in the door jamb that switches the lights. Choose between mis-aligning the door vs. adjusting the postion of the switch/button.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Ding Ding...adjusted the striker and bingo it works fine now =)..still have to run the wire on the drivers side this weekend hopefully I will figure it out..will revert

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Jim-wasn't suggesting anything with hinges of the door. The striker can move, my 95 did. I should have added to "mark" the orig placement of it with a marker so that if nothing else it could be put back. I've never seen how to "adjust" the door jam switch on a Honda, can you teach me on that?

SirJohn-Good to hear, one down-one to go. Please let everyone know what you find. It helps everyone else that comes along....Good luck.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-02-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Just as a note my striker appears to have been replaced at some time and I just moved it back to its original placement as I could see were it used to be by the discoloration on the paint. It was off by about a 16th of an inch. Will revert with my findings on the driver door lighting.

Quick Reply: 96 Accord LX....interior lights issue