General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

That looks like the wires for G101 and it/they (IMHO) should be moved to the drivers end of the plenum.

Once that is done be sure the battery cables are clean and tight....all ends of both cables.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-5th-gen-g101-location.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 10-27-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
That looks like the wires for G101 and it/they (IMHO) should be moved to the drivers end of the plenum.

Once that is done be sure the battery cables are clean and tight....all ends of both cables.

Awesome! Thanks.

Heading back out to the garage a little later. vacuumed out 4 1/2 years of dust and junk. Hosed it down in the driveway. Moved it to a bigger stall in the garage.

Quick rundown of issues I've noticed so far:
1. Now the gas pedal won't do anything. Just flops back and forth. The cable thru the firewall is bound up somewhere.

2. Throttle cable/Cruise cable little nuts are off and sliding up and down the cables. Haven't found how to adjust these properly yet.

3. Fans don't seem to want to come on. Idling in garage it will eventually push the temp gauge up so something must not be flowing? New thermostat, even with heater on high it doesn't lessen the heat. All the fuses I could find under the hood, and on inside panel seemed fine.

4. Still erratic gauges/lights/slow power windows. (Haven't relocated that ground yet)

5. Power steering pump making noise. Tried both loosening it and tightening it. Squeals when loose, bearing sounds pretty loud when tight. Steering feels funny in the car just turning wheel back and forth in garage while running. I swear last night the power steering wasn't even working when I drove around the block. Seems to have assist today, but noisy.

6. All the hot neighbor ladies are starting to swarm outside in my driveway after they noticed it cruise around the block last night. I haven't found that issue in the manual anywhere yet.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 AM

Ok, now I'm perplexed. Relocated that ground to the plenum. Not sure if it's related at all, but my throttle cable is smoking and melted. What the hell would cause it to get hot enough to melt the casing and actually smoke? That might explain why the pedal doesn't move the cable at all if it's melted into goo.

Also noticed my banjo fitting on the fuel line is leaking a little. Washers crushed maybe?

Before I noticed the smoking cable, I sat in the drivers seat with it running and the lights on. Tach idled fine until I pressed on the brake pedal, or turned the heater control **** on. Then drops to zero. (Just the tach, not the engine). With the gas pedal all loose, the lights flicker and flutter just by moving the gas pedal too.

Also tonight, new battery, clean terminals.

Just realized I left this sensor (2nd pic) unhooked after I cleaned it tonight and it was shortly after starting it and letting it run that the cable started smoking. Distributor feels hot too.

This is becoming more frustrating by the hour.

Ok, this post is exactly what I was experiencing. Combined with what you said about the g101, does this help narrow it down?

http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-1...rical-2567060/

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151028_003540.jpg   96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151028_001819.jpg  

Last edited by vfrman; 10-28-2015 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Did you lose a ground wire? If the engine block is grounded to the car body through the throttle cable, that would explain the heat.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Did you lose a ground wire? If the engine block is grounded to the car body through the throttle cable, that would explain the heat.
Thanks

I've been searching threads all day to make sure I know where all the ground wires go just to be sure. Going to lift it back up and go underneath and see if I'm missing something. Gotta be one somewhere.

I ordered a new cable that'll be here tomorrow so hopefully I get it figured out tonight so I don't melt it again.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I could be wrong in my comment on those wires being G101 vs being "G2".

As you saw in the thread/link you posted there is another pretty large/heavy gauge ground over by the timing belt area. It is raining like nothing else right now so I can;t get outside to check the 97 Accord for more help right now.

If there was nothing attached where g101 was to be then we have at least one "lost ground" - yes you have something there now I just don't know if it is the proper wires,

Please don't take this the wrong way - also be sure the battery cables are correct....the (+) positive has two splits - one to the fuse box and another to the starter.....trust me I have seen where they have been switched.....don't go on the color of the cable coming off/to the battery.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Hey, I could be wrong in my comment on those wires being G101 vs being "G2".

As you saw in the thread/link you posted there is another pretty large/heavy gauge ground over by the timing belt area. It is raining like nothing else right now so I can;t get outside to check the 97 Accord for more help right now.

If there was nothing attached where g101 was to be then we have at least one "lost ground" - yes you have something there now I just don't know if it is the proper wires,

Please don't take this the wrong way - also be sure the battery cables are correct....the (+) positive has two splits - one to the fuse box and another to the starter.....trust me I have seen where they have been switched.....don't go on the color of the cable coming off/to the battery.
Oh don't worry. I don't take anything the wrong way. I once filled my wife's Odyssey full of ATF. Only I put it in the oil fill instead. Tried as hard as I could, but that damn thing wouldn't back up to save my life.

That happens alot around here when I try to work on a vehicle in the garage while the kids are awake. I get into a routine then someone asks me for help and I go inside. Come back out and "routine oil change" mentality takes over. Never even thought about the fact that I was actually im the middle of changing the transmission fluid. That was a good waste of atf and oil.

Heading back into the agarge later again to find every wire I can. Thanks

Old 10-28-2015, 09:51 PM

Should the white circled bolt be grounded to the red circled hole in the power steering pump bracket? It looks likes something was attached there before. I only attached it here because it looked like it fit.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151028_192018.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 AM

Well I don't know which of the things I did actually fixed it, but it runs perfect now. I moved the PWR steering ground from the painted body mount to the motor mount bracket. I also sanded all the connections. I cut the ends of the pwr steering ground and crimped new ends on it and also the small battery ground wire. Purrs like a kitten now. Just needs the new throttle cable tomorrow and hopefully were ready to roll.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151029_010925.jpg   96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151029_011026.jpg   96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151029_011044.jpg   96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question-20151029_011017.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Getting a check engine light for a TDC #12 now. Egr lift something or other. Funny it's never had a CEL in the whole time I've had it. Maybe I dislodged some junk when I had it all apart cleaning up ports and passages?

Quick Reply: 96 Accord LX Wagon Timing Belt Damage Question