General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord Transmission problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Default 96 Accord Transmission problem?

My accord is 96 LX 2.2L automatic, 4 door.

Recently she is having some problem when I speed up or slow down, she would not speed up as smooth as before. It is like she is having difficulties shifting through gears. RPM changes sharply of course when she reaches certain speed or slows down. Istransmission sliping? I can feel the car is accelerated just right at when RPM jumps. And usually I experience 2 or 3 of these jumps from 0-60km/hr. When I release the gas pedal, the speed will come down as if the car is pulled by the gear. Any idea what this is? How can I deal with it? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 Accord Transmission problem?

Does your D4 light flash at all? If it does, the tranny computer (TCU) has detected a problem.

I would start by changing the transmission fluid. Use the Honda ATF from the dealership. Do not have the tranny flushed ever.

All of the fluid does not drain out like when you drain the oil. So drain, refill, then drive for 10-15 minutes. Repeat three times to replace most of the fluid.

You may also want to clean out the screens to the two sets of shift solenoids and the solenoids themselves using throttle body cleaner. They can collect debris over time. You just have to unbolt them from the tranny.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Thank you for your reply, the D4 light never flashed, Should I still do what you said? Is there a possibility that I need a new tranny or get it rebuilt?

Old 12-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Tranny problems are tough to diagnose IMO, since the case is sealed. I am not as experienced with tranny problems.

Replacing the transmission fluid and cleaning those solenoids may be an inexpensive fix compared to replacing/rebuilding the tranny. Do you change the tranny fluid regularly? Also, when you are changing it, look for tiny shavings of metal in the old fluid.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

Tranny problems are tough to diagnose IMO, since the case is sealed. I am not as experienced with tranny problems.

Replacing the transmission fluid and cleaning those solenoids may be an inexpensive fix compared to replacing/rebuilding the tranny. Do you change the tranny fluid regularly? Also, when you are changing it, look for tiny shavings of metal in the old fluid.

Transmission has a magnetic drain plug. A metallic sludge on the plug is somewhat normal, metal shavings on the plus isn't good, and metal shavings on the plug AND in the fluid is bad.

If it's not throwing a code, I'd change the fluid 3x (you'll need to buy 9 qts of fluid) and do it like PAHonda said, and clean out the solenoid screens. Driving will probably improve for a few days, but I'd give it a week before you come to any conclusion that it's been fixed. Once you've done the drain/refill the fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles per the manual. Once the transmission has had the 3x change done to it, just a 1x drain/refill should be fine every 30k miles. That's more than most people do in the car's lifetime.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 PM

I bought the car 2 month ago, never changed tranny fluid yet.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM

Thank you finch13 and PAhonda, I appreciate your help, will try that in a few days.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check for trans codes in any case. A few of the OBD1 codes do not set the D4 light flashing. Easy to do and might provide a major clue.

good luck

Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks TexasHonda.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:09 PM

I bought all the fluids from Honda, and really want to started changing the fluids, I checked some online video tutorial, it shows how to do it, it includes taking off trans oil pan and replacing oil pan seal, is that step needed for my accord? what parts do i need to replace besides the fluids? And how do I locate the solenoid screens? Thanks!

Quick Reply: 96 Accord Transmission problem?