General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord - Trouble with Through-Bolt on Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Question 96 Accord - Trouble with Through-Bolt on Motor Mount

I need to replace the front motor mount on my 96 Accord. I was trying to remove the through bolt which is on the mount. This is the first step and was having a hell of a time getting the damn thing off.

In case you were wondering I am going in the right direction. I'm just having trouble getting the right angle and enough room with a breaker bar or 1/2 inch ratchet because of how the bolt is situated. I have 1/2 swivel attachment but it doesn't seem like I get enough force on it to break it loose. I already sprayed it down with lubricant but that didn't seem to help much.

The other bolts came off pretty easily. So once I get this through bolt off it should be a simple job.

Anyone have suggestions or tips on how to get the through bolt off? I'd appreciate it.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The bolt must be corroded in the mount weld nut. A big chisel is ideal, but even a piece of 1/2" plumbing pipe might do it: Hit the outside of the weld nut. Hard. That should break the corrosion loose so the bolt will turn.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roader
The bolt must be corroded in the mount weld nut. A big chisel is ideal, but even a piece of 1/2" plumbing pipe might do it: Hit the outside of the weld nut. Hard. That should break the corrosion loose so the bolt will turn.
Thanks Roader! I've tried using my floor jack's handle but it still didn't seem to budge much. I'll give the bot a few whacks to try to break the corrosion and see if that works.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Exclamation 96 Accord - Aftermarket Front Motor Mount Won't Fit

I have a 96 Accord - AT - F22B2 4-cylinder engine. I got the front motor mount off today. When I went to put this aftermarket POS anchor mount (Part #8026) on... it wouldn't fit.

I posted a picture of the problem. The bolt holes on either side aren't spaced right so it's impossible to get the bolts to seat properly. I tried for about 45 minutes in all sorts of combinations and angles to get the bolts to go in but they will NOT fit in there.

I'm wondering if anyone else has has this problem with aftermarket mounts? I know it's best to buy factory mounts from but the local dealership here but don't stock these the mount and it would have taken several days.

Is there a good online store for getting a Honda front mount for my Accord? I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Maybe you got a mount from a manual trans car in error? I bought a front mount from RockAuto for less than $15 - I don't recall what brand it was - and it fit perfectly.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Default Pictures

Here are pictures of the mount compared to the old one and how the holes line-up. I called the parts store and they said it should fit... but it doesn't!

It's an Anchor #8026. I believe the MT trans one is a different part number.

Last edited by slickgeek; 10-31-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Your pictures don't give us a sense of where the disconnect is. Have you tried something simple like rocking the engine a bit to see if settled a bit since you took the old mount out?

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If bolt holes don't align, then part is wrong or faulty manufacture. Don't attempt to force bolts in mis-aligned holes or you may cross thread a bolt.

Initially, were trying to remove the fixed nut on the front mount bracket rather than turning the bolt head?

good luck

Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Your pictures don't give us a sense of where the disconnect is.
The bolt holes are different basically. You can see in the pic but it might be hard.

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If bolt holes don't align, then part is wrong or faulty manufacture. Don't attempt to force bolts in mis-aligned holes or you may cross thread a bolt.

Initially, were trying to remove the fixed nut on the front mount bracket rather than turning the bolt head?
Seems to be a bad part IMO. I was turning the nut on the right side of the bracket.

What do you think I should do TexasHonda? Exchange this front mount or get a factory Honda one? Besides the dealership anywhere else to get a Honda part?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ebay (98 02 Honda Accord 2 3L Front Engine Mount Stopper Passenger Side Right RH New | eBay) may be an option.

I have had very good service/parts from Rockauto for aftermarket.

good luck

Quick Reply: 96 Accord - Trouble with Through-Bolt on Motor Mount