General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 Accord-Windows Fog Real Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Default 96 Accord-Windows Fog Real Bad

Is it normal for these cars to have window fogging that covers all the glass inside the car?

During a heavy rain tonight,the windows fogged up real bad...turned on defroster and it had a hard time getting the build up off.

I have never seen a car fog this bad...

That said,my hvac system is working perfect.The heat/a/c works and all the fan settings work fine.There is no coolant loss,or smell inside the car from a leaky heater core,and no visible water leaks anywhere,when it rains or etc.The interior and trunk is dry,theres no wetness anywhere.

I had to keep adjusting the temp settings and it finally cleared off the windshield inside but the 4 door windows were fogged so bad I could not see outside of them.Yes had the dash vents aimed to blow onto the side door glass but it did nothing.

The rear window was fogged,but I turned the rear defroster on and it cleared up.

Not sure whats going on...Im going to clean the glass as best as I can,in case theres something on it making it worse,but never have I seen a car get this bad,unless it had a leak somewhere,which I cannot find for the life of me.

I have not had this car very long so Im curious as to what to know or look for.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Fog on the inside of the car windows is due to the humidity inside of the car. The moisture in the cabin condenses on the inside of the windows.

I typically turn on the a/c and put it on defrost to pull the moisture out of the air.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure your ventilation is set for fresh-air. DO NOT USE the RECIRC setting when you're trying to clear the windows. (Make sure that fresh/recirc control actually works.)

Old 03-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Fog on the inside of the car windows is due to the humidity inside of the car. The moisture in the cabin condenses on the inside of the windows.

I typically turn on the a/c and put it on defrost to pull the moisture out of the air.

+1

Did you clean the carpets/interior? It sounds like the interior is wet.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the replies! The interior is dry and I have not done anything to it.
I will do a further inspection to see if maybe the padding underneath might be holding any water,but the car has no smell,and today with the sun out,it got very warm inside the car and still no smell of mold,water or moisture.

Maybe it was just that freaky weather...the temps are between warm and cold and maybe I had the setting on wrong at first.But man,there was alot of moisture!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

If the problem persists, check your heater core!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by chip
If the problem persists, check your heater core!
Thanks,I am aware to do that.I did not smell any coolant nor do I have a loss anywhere,like I have experienced with other heater core failures,but WILL do a better inspection and see if I can find any leaks,no matter how tiny.

Never hurts to recheck it all.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM

Just try to check the simplist things first.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

There's a drain hose from the ventilation system (rainwater & condensate from the AC). If that drain gets plugged, you usually get water spilling out to the passenger footwell. But maybe it's just enough water in there to make excessive humidity coming out of the heater.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 AM

good point!

Quick Reply: 96 Accord-Windows Fog Real Bad