General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord wont start

Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Default 96 accord wont start

hello. I just got a 96 accord from my father in law and im having a slight issue with it..... When you go to start it in the morning it will not fire... when you put the key on the run position you know how you are soposed to hear the solenoids click under the hood. well nothing happens. You have to keep the switch in the on position for abt 10 minutes then the solenoids will engauge and it will start... Also while this is going on if you put the shifter in D4 the light around it will not light up on the instrument cluster untill everything engauges... This is the damnest thing ive ever seen. I consider myself a pretty good mechanic however ive never messed with a honda before.... I know the car needs a new speed sensor but i dont see how this would have anything to do with the major issue im having right now.... any help would be apprceiated...

Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Faulty ignition switch assy. Easy DIY. See DIY forum for guidance and check youtube for videos of this repair.

good luck

Old 07-14-2012, 03:01 PM

alright thank u my friend... your talking about the electrical switch correct? not the lock cylinder? how sure are you of this? I dont wanna put anymore money in this car than i have to lol

Old 07-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Check small wire to starter solenoid when no-start condition is present. If no voltage, then key switch assy (electrical) is highly likely. Only other possibility would be a wire or connector fault.

good luck

Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 AM

its most deffinatley not the ignition switch... The car will turn over just fine. it just wont fire untill the solenoids finally click... any other ideas?

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Your last post conflicts w/ original post. You said when you turn the keyswitch "well nothing happens".

Keyswitch has multiple contacts.

However you need to clarify your problem w/ a clear statement of what's not working; ignition, starter, fuel pump, etc.

We're not mind readers.

good luck

Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM

ok when turn the ignition switch on the car will turn over and it the fuel pump will come on. however there is no spark and it will not fire. You know when you switch a car on you heard all the buzzes and clicks for everything booting up. None of that happens... All the instrument lights and everything else come on, however the solenoids from under the hood will not click or engauge unless you leave they key left in the "run" position for abt ten minutes. then they will engauge and the car will fire. Also while this is going on if u put the shifter threw all the gears the light around the "d4" on the instrument cluster will not light up. All of the others wil though. once the solenoids or whatever the hell is it thats clicks under the hood engauges that light will come on and car will crank. Once it cranks and your drive it a while it will crank for the rest of the day just fine. Then once you try to crank it the next morning i have to go through the same thing... Also it seems to be worse if it rains. The only thing I have an idea of wut it could be is the the 4 solenoids that are on the transmission...prehaps one of those could be the shift solenoid for overdrive... Again i have no clue abt a honda so im not even sure wut those solenoids are

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM

When engine is cold it turns over but no spark. How did you determine no spark?

The only solenoid that makes a click (that you can hear) under the hood is the starter solenoid, however you said the starter is working. Perhaps cooling fans are running if AC switch is On.

Do you perhaps mean the relay under the dash and fuel pump in the fuel tank are missing and come on after waiting 10mins?

good luck

Old 07-18-2012, 11:38 AM

took a plug out and grounded it against the engine and had someone turn the car over.... no spark... Like i said though I was just taking a stab at wut was clicking.... someone else said something abt a relay under the dash to me yesterday,.... wut exactly does that relay control and where is it located?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 AM

It's the Main Fuel Relay (MFR). MFR is located under driver's dash to the right of the steering wheel. Lower knee trim pad must be removed and you must dive under dash to find. It is difficult to remove also.

The MFR enables the fuel pump to run. When keyswitch is turned to On, the MFR enables the fuel pump to run for 2-3 secs, and goes off unless the engine is started. If you don't hear the soft clicks of the MFR and buzz of the fuel pump in the trunk, no fuel delivery is highly likely and no-start condition is likely.

The reason I asked about spark test is it's easy to get a false negative (no spark when spark is available due to poor ground or spark plug connection).

Try listening for the MFR and fuel pump to confirm fuel delivery. If fuel pump is energizing each time keyswitch is turned to On, the spark problem is very likely true. If not, then need to recheck spark test and try to repair/replace the MFR.

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 accord wont start