General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 with EX engine starts rough, Data Connector Link is not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Default 96 with EX engine starts rough, Data Connector Link is not working

I hope I posted this in the right spot.

My father-in-laws 96 Accord is having an issue with rough running like a mis fire after start up. It has 120K on the clock. Changed out the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs which were all over due. Still has the problem but it comes and goes. Probably about 1/2 the time it runs rough for up to 1 minute.

Tried to connect to the OBD-II DCL and am not able to get a reading from the cars PCM. This car was built in February 1996.

I would appreciate any help on these issues.

Thanks
77Impala

Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

What kind of plugs? Honda seems to like NGK best.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What kind of plugs? Honda seems to like NGK best.
They are NGK's, box number 2262, and the old ones were the same.

We drove it today and twice the check engine lamp lite up but the next start it was out. Reminds me of the older OBD-I series computers. I found and tried the older diagnostic link plug on the passenger side and only got the SRS codes, 71, 72, 73. No blinks from the check engine lamp.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

When you first turn the key to the II position (without trying to start the car), does the check engine light turn on for about 2 seconds?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:10 AM

I will check that out later this evening. I believe it does with the rest of the lamps during the test cycle.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Yes the check engine lamp does come on for two seconds with the key in the run position but engine not on.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

It might be worth a shot to get the codes read from an auto parts store like autozone to see if their reader can find any codes.

Also, when you shorted the two pin connector, did the check engine light turn on and stay on while the SRS codes blinked?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Another thought would be to have the battery and alternator checked while at the parts store.

Also inspect that all ends of both battery cables are clean and secure. Maybe check that the ECU and radio/back fuse isn't loose.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It might be worth a shot to get the codes read from an auto parts store like autozone to see if their reader can find any codes.

Also, when you shorted the two pin connector, did the check engine light turn on and stay on while the SRS codes blinked?
No check engine light did not light up while the SRS codes blinked. I will try AutoZone.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Another thought would be to have the battery and alternator checked while at the parts store.

Also inspect that all ends of both battery cables are clean and secure. Maybe check that the ECU and radio/back fuse isn't loose.
Are these the same fuse? I know the radio does not work and neither does the clock. The radio has never worked since my father in law bought the car 4 or 5 years ago.

Quick Reply: 96 with EX engine starts rough, Data Connector Link is not working