General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 EX V6 Door Locks won't stop locking

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM
kerhaf
Unregistered
Default 96 EX V6 Door Locks won't stop locking

96 EX V6 with 160k miles. For awhile now when we lock the car all the door locks kept trying to lock for - multiple cycles for a few seconds. The problem is now worse - they keep locking for over a minute now - all the doors. This has to be really hard on some component(s) - as well as drawing down the battery and just plain annoying. I'm reading this is probably a door lock actuator problem but it can't be all 4 actuators going bad. Will 1 bad actuator - or even something else cause this problem? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No easy way to know which actuator is causing the problem. You'll need to disable the door locks one by one until you find the actuator that's causing the problem.

It is likely not possible to do all actuators from the driver's door control panel, and most likely requires removing each door panel to disable the actuator. That's because a common lead drives all actuators, and each actuator has an individual ground. However it's not clear where the power wire divides (maybe in driver's door). If so, then you might disable each from the driver's door.

You'll will need a wiring diagram (Honda shop manual from Online Manuals DIY link).

good luck

Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

My faulty driver's side door actuator caused all four doors to repeatedly lock.

I unplugged one actuator (6-pin connector behind the door panel) at a time to determine that my driver's side actuator was bad.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'd be suspect of the drivers door actuator; on that older system the drivers lock actuator is the 'master' of the setup.
if the master doesn't complete it's locking cycle the entire system recycles.

I have had some luck repairing those actuators; inside the unit is a small plastic post that has a spring tension on it. You might be able to put in some "shims" to support the post from the side of the case.