General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 honda accord 4cy lx wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Default 96 honda accord 4cy lx wont start

hey guys my and my brother just did a new head gasket on my gfs accord and after we put it back together it would not start. my brother is cirtified so he knows pretty well what hes doing but this ones got us both stumped. looks to us that everything is hooked up right. it turns over but wont start. it has spark. we took the fuel rail with the injectors off to c if it was getting fuel and when it was off the car started and ran till it ran out of gas and the injectore looked to be spaying fine. any ideas on what could b doing this?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Default heh

are the spark plug wires in the wrong order? just a guess... I would check them first. you say its getting fuel... but if enough of the spark plug wires are in the wrong spots it won't fire up. i had this problem once a long time ago, I just switched em around till she fired up.. had a couple of cylinders that werent goin so i switched em around till it sounded right :P like i said just a guess.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM

ya we marked the plugs and they should b in the right order but ill double check it. thanks man

Old 05-02-2011, 06:43 PM

and it ran when the fule injectors were out which makes me think all the timeing is right. thinking that it somehow isnt getting air, thats why when the infectors were out it sucked in air and that made it run, just would have to figure out whats keeping it from air

Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Your engine can't run with the fuel injectors removed.

Take off the distributor cap. Make sure that the distributor rotor is pointing to the number 1 spark plug wire when the engine is at top dead center.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

^ after that. Did you miss a ground, back side if the intake/tb is the main ground for the ecu. What is missing, fuel or spark?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 PM

it ran off of the left over fuel that was in the engine when i took the fuel injectors off. after that fuel was gone it died. i would think that means it can run so the plugs should b right. i change the plugs to what i saw online was the right order and it didnt start still. how can u see if the engine is at top dead center so you can set the distributor to it? do u have to take off the vaulve cover?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 PM

poorman- it seems to be getting fuel and spark. Im gonna check that other ground real quick, could that affect it getting air cause thats what is seems like its not getting

Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM

poorman- what looks like a groud i found on the drivers side of the intake, theirs 2 wires bolted on the side of the intake and then they dive under and back accross the engine. do i need to follow them back or is that how they should b

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Air to the intake...you'd have to stuff a ton of rags in there to stop it.

Spark and fuel at the wrong time...back to PA's question to be sure the marks on the belt line up, as well as the dist pointing to #1 wire (cyl closest to crank pulley, 1-3-4-2).

Quick Reply: 96 honda accord 4cy lx wont start