General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Automatic "transmission & power loss problems"

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Default 97 Accord Automatic "transmission & power loss problems"

im having problems with my 97 honda accord (automatic) for the past 4 months my transmission shifts harder then before from 1st to 2nd gear. I change both engine & transmission (honda brand) oil regularly. have changed the pcv valve, air filter clean. anyone know what can be causing this?

Second thing i've noticed is that before when I used to step on the gas the car would accelerate right away & now it struggles to get speed. any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Hard shifts can sometimes be corrected by adjusting the throttle cable to the transmission. You need a shop manual for the correct procedure. The trans throttle lever should begin to move simultaneously w/ the throttle plate.

Drivability issue is probably not related to transmission. First make sure all ignition parts; rotor, distributor cap, ignition wires, and spark plugs are in good condition. Replace if over 50K miles on them. I like to check wires and distributor cap at night w/ fine mist of water sprayed on wires and cap w/ engine running . Any sparks would indicate replacement of wires and/or distributor cap.

If all ignition parts are in good shape, and O2 sensor has more than 75K miles on it, you should consider a new O2 sensor. Sometimes drivability problems can be caused by a weak O2 sensor.

good luck

Old 05-02-2009, 07:35 PM
ItsNewToMe
Unregistered

It could also be a weak or torn engine / transmission mount.