General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord CV Joint Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Question 97 Accord CV Joint Boot Question

I just noticed on my 97 Accord that the passengers CV joint boot has a small tear. Back in 2008 I replaced both CV joint axles with the EMPI brand, and have not had any issues.

Rather then replacing the axle, is it possible to just replace the boot?

This would be a much cheaper option, as I checked the boots during my last oil change and they were fine, so I don't think it has been there too long.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 AM

Yes. Replacing boots is very common if there is no clicking in the cv joint. Boot kits are available at the dealer for around 35 dollars per side (outer only) or can probably be bought at many other stores. Be sure if buy after market that the kit includes the boot, cv joint grease, retaining clip and both the boot clamps as that is what comes in a kit from the dealer.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Be aware, this is a messy and somewhat challenging job. See numerous youtube videos on subject.

If grease has been lost there may be excessive wear. Check for slack between axle section when rotated in opposite directions.

good luck

Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM

This is true. Additionally, if this was a Honda original axle and the crack was caught before damage to the cv then the boot replacement is a no brainier, but since this is an aftermarket rebuild then I would have to rethink the overall outcome.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks for the info guy's, I'll start looking around the web for some boot kit's and also check out the videos.

I'll post on how the job goes.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I did the half-clam boot repair (AutoZone) on a '97 Altima and thought it was the slickest deal since bread.
15,000 miles later the seal, secured by metal band, was loose too loose. I'd done the best I could. Won't do this route again.

For me, I'll just repalce axle with fresh boot next time.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

I've replaced CV boots a few times on other cars, VWs & Saabs. I don't like the split type, so it requires dismantling the CV joints.

For some reason, complete axles for Honda are much more affordable than complete axles for some other makes. Therefore a lot of people just go for the axle replacement. It's a whole lot less dirty than repacking a CV joint.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:18 PM

For the cost of replacing the boot and the work involved, I'd just buy a reman axle and replace the entire thing

Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Almost A Senior Member

After checking the prices online of a complete axle assembly, I agree this might be the best option rather then messing with the boot kit.

Surprised to see the complete assembly prices in the 60.00 to 75.00 dollar range.

Thanks all for your input, and Happy Holidays!!!!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I once visited a shop here in Houston that rebuilds CV axles. It was a real sweatshop manned by very young men w/ no supervision or QC. He was rebuilding a stack of axles when I was there.

Procedure appeared to be 1) remove old boots, 2) wipe out most of old grease, 3) slop new grease in, 4) New boot. It was done in minutes. Presto a "rebuilt" CV axle. This may or may not be representative of how AZ, OR, NAPA get their axles.

Still many folks have had satisfactory results w/ auto parts store axles.

good luck

Quick Reply: 97 Accord CV Joint Boot Question