General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 Accord EX Windows roll up and down SLOW

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Default '97 Accord EX Windows roll up and down SLOW

After searching a ton of previous posts about windows on this site, I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem I am having. My '97 Accord EX V6 is having problems with both front windows rolling up and down VERY slowly. It is not making any noise, just goes up and down real slow. Seems like it is using Duracell batteries that are just about out of juice. Both front windows are doing it. Back windows are fine. Some of the other posts I've read mention a window regulator. At the risk of sounding like a girl, I am not sure what the function of a window regulator is verses the window motor. Could this window regulator be the culprit? Or perhaps, since this is happening to both windows at the same time, it is some sort of power regulation issue? I can't imagine two window motors or regulators going bad at the very same time and causing the same exact issue on both windows. Anyone got a guess on what might be happening?

I am having other "electrical" issues such as the cruise not engaging. The button light comes on, but the instrument panel cruise light will not. The rear defrost and the low fuel light indicator on the instrument panel won't come on either. Also having a problem with instrument panel light on one side and AC light behind one side of the controls cutting in and out. Have to give it a "love tap" on top of the dash or on front of the AC control panel in order to get it to come on.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by Steviinicks; 01-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There can be several reasons including damaged regulator, but usual reason is dirt/grime in the window run channel that guides the window. The run channel is located in the window frame inside the door. It is a rubber channel and dirt can accumulate greatily increasing friction.

Some have had luck w/ cleaning as much as they can reach from above w/ window full down and lubricating the channel w/ silicone grease (shinitsu grease is recommended). To really access the channel, the door panel must be removed, and window removed to allow full access to clean the entire channel. If you do all that, you may as well replace the run channel. It's available as a part from Honda.

I also suspect (don't know for a fact) the window wipe seal (inside and outside of the window) get brittle and stiff w/ age, offering additional friction on the window. Replacing these is not too difficult and might have a big impact.

I doubt there's any problems w/ your regulator, motor, or voltage. Sustained operation slowly (high load) may damage the regulator however.

good luck

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM

I agree with TexasHonda. I've performed what he mentioned above with good results. I also regularly spray the channels with the Honda Silicone Spray when I lube the door seals.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

This is a very common problem on the 94-97 Accords. Both of mine have this issue. A lot of people see improvement with the lubing up/replacement of the seals. New motors also will often be faster than the 14 year old ones in the car.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

mine are kinda slow on my 97 as well.
the colder it gets the slower they go.
I just accept it as thats what a 14 year old car with no monthly payment gets me.
My last car had very fast windows, along with a $500 per month payment.
I am happier now.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Default I know exactly what you're going through!!

I recently pulled out my wife's 97 accord to give to my teenage daughter and the front windows were going up very slow. I replaced both motors and regulators only to discover it was still doing the same thing. You have received great advice in lubricating the window channel and keeping them clean. To replace any of the rubber door molding is unbelievably expensive, I know, I priced them at the dealer. I couldn't find them online anywhere. I think Honda did a terrible job of designing this motor and regulator and we're just stuck. (pun intended) You are not alone

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had a very similar problem on a '92 accord wagon I used to have. It was so bad I thought for sure I was going to have to do a window motor replacement. I was then told of an amazing product called Jig-A-Loo...it's silicon lubricant spray. I sprayed down all the seals and channels on the window, and it worked like a new motor was installed. Best of all, it didn't even leave streaks on the window.