General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 Accord Not Starting

I have a '97 Accord 4cyl non-vtec that is not starting.

I've put in a new battery, new negative cable, and now it doesn't like to start. It's weird because it's not everytime, but it's happening a lot. And since it's my daughter's car, I can't have her stranded somewhere with it acting up.

You turn the key and everything is normal, but when you turn it fully to start it doesn't turn over. But if you try it like 3-4 times, it will finally start. I can hear the solenoid click on the starter, but it won't turn over.

Should I replace the starter and it should fix it? Or is there something else that is known to cause this issue?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM

If you have a local starter repair shop,bring it in and have them test it.If the solenoid clicks everytime you turn the key and doesnt crank over at times,that rules out the ignition switch to me.I took my starter out and the local shop repaired it for like 30 or 40 bucks,it needed new contacts,but everything else was good.

That was 4 years ago and its still going strong.Im not messing with auto parts store remans anymore.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:26 PM

I went back and re read what you posted.Did this starter problem "start" after you put a new battery and cable in? or was it already doing that and you changed those out?

Thanks.Needed to be sure.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No, it was doing it before the battery swap and cable replacement. The battery was weak, so I did that anyhow. The cable was missing a section of the casing and was rusted and frayed.

It was fine for a while after both of those were replaced, but then again this week it started doing it again.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm going to pull it tomorrow and get it tested, hopefully that's the issue.
If they can rebuild it, I'll go that route........or I'll be buying one at Autozone.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 AM

If you don't get power at the smaller wire that connects via the connector to the starter when you turn the ignition to the start position, the issue is not the starter. It's more likely the ignition switch.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I just went out to start the car and move it into the garage, and it wouldn't start. So I held the key all the way turned, and wiggled the gear shifter and stepped on the brake pedal.........and the car started right up as soon as I hit the brake pedal.
Tried again about 15 times, and the car started every time. When it finally wouldn't start again, I again held the key there, and wiggled the gear shifter and it started instantly.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, flaky interlock circuit. There's switches to prevent you from starting unless it's in Park or Neutral. And the brake is probably in there somewhere, at least to unlock the selector lever.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is there a fix for it?
Something I can replace?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

You can check the shift cable to be sure it is adjusted correctly.

Quick Reply: 97 Accord Not Starting