General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Accord Oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Question 97 Accord Oil leaks

My 97 Accord SE, 2.2 liter with 182K miles has some more oil leaking lately, about a quart every 800 miles or so.

The valve cover gasket looks good, and just replaced the distributor o ring seal last month.

Under the car, there seems to be oil on most of the oil pan bolts, so thinking about just changing the gasket.

My question, is the oil pan gasket replacement fairly easy? And are there any specific components or gaskets under the car that are prone to leaking.

Thanks Accord Members!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

it could be leaking from the oil pressure sensor above the oil pan or the dist.

The dist is a very common place for oil to leak from.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

Just replaced the distributor oil seal a few months ago, that area looks good.

Got under the car today, oil drips all over the back of the block, and even dripping on the exhaust pipe. Took a mirror to look at the oil pressure sensor above the oil filter (as it sits back and is hard to see) and the area underneath that looks pretty good.

I think I am going to put the car on ramps, let it cool and wipe everything down good then start it up and hope to see something.

Just looking for some specific areas to keep an eye on.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 PM

as advised chk the oil pressure switch but also chk the oil filter housing seal ( if engine has the oil filter housing ) some do some don;t

Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Question

DH,

Not sure about the oil filter housing seal, or how to tell if I have one, but will take a closer look. It does seem that the oil consumption/leakage occurred about the same time I last changed the oil and filter. As a precaution I went ahead and changed the oil filter a few weeks ago thinking the seal on the filter was not holding, but the leakage continues.

If I recall the oil filter just screws on and the gasket contacts the round, machined surface on the block to seal.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Cool

Well just wiped everything down, replaced the oil filter with a Honda filter and started the engine up.

After looking closely I could see an oil drip about every 5 seconds coming from the oil pressure switch, so guy's you were right in what to look for.

Anyone know how difficult this switch is to remove, clean up the threads and re install. Seems a little tough to get to, and not sure how the electrical connector comes off or if a standard socket will work to remove or a special tool is needed?

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jerrym
Well just wiped everything down, replaced the oil filter with a Honda filter and started the engine up.

After looking closely I could see an oil drip about every 5 seconds coming from the oil pressure switch, so guy's you were right in what to look for.

Anyone know how difficult this switch is to remove, clean up the threads and re install. Seems a little tough to get to, and not sure how the electrical connector comes off or if a standard socket will work to remove or a special tool is needed?

Thanks for any info!
It is easy, the connector pulls off and the sensor is on with a normal socket.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

The leak is likely going through the oil pressure switch, so you will probably need to replace it. It costs less than $20 at the dealership. I never looked into pricing them at the parts store.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with PAHonda, they are very cheap, and its likely not leaking through the threads. Easy to replace though.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks fellas, I'll let you know how the job goes tomorrow.....on my way to pick up the part now.

Have a good weekend!

Quick Reply: 97 Accord Oil leaks