Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   97 accord SE cream in oil, coolant loss and overheat after long drive (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/97-accord-se-cream-oil-coolant-loss-overheat-after-long-drive-57544/)

nickmg555 12-04-2013 06:14 PM

97 accord SE cream in oil, coolant loss and overheat after long drive

I posted about this problem once before but wasn't able to get many likely causes so now that I have a few days off coming up I would like to hopefully fix this problem.

For over a year now I have always been having a coolant loss problem. And the oil would get creamy but I don't believe it to be condensation since its more than the typical amount and I commute 30 minutes of highway every day. There are no noticeable coolant leaks so i have to assume its internal. Exhaust is fairly clean with no noticeable steam or coolant Odor. When I drive longer than an hour coolant starts to fill the reservoir and spill out until the coolant level drops enough for the temp gauge to start spiking but during my daily 35 minute commute I have no problems but slowly loose coolant and have to top off every week.

It is my opinion that the head gasket is going allowing coolant into the oil and combustion gases into the coolant causing the coolant to spill out.

Any opinions?

Thanks

mack10 12-04-2013 07:02 PM

Are you losing any power

PAhonda 12-04-2013 09:06 PM

It sounds like a HG problem. Do a compression test, then a leak down test to verify.

redbull-1 12-04-2013 09:15 PM

From what you described, the symptoms are a blown head gasket.

Here's a link with some info.:
Part 1 -How To Test for a Blown Head Gasket (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L)

UhOh 12-05-2013 01:16 AM

Bad HG seems likely; compression test would be 1st step, my opinion.

nickmg555 12-06-2013 02:03 PM

HG was my guess as well. So another question! Is it more cost efficient to get the head resurfaced and magnafluxed?

orrr just buy a reman. Head. I can get a reman. With all the fixings and cam for about $230 which sounds appealing to me since I would also need to do some rebuilding on the head and replace seals and what not and one of my cam lobes is pretty badly worn.

Also I only have 3 days to complete this project.

How much and how long do you guys think a head resurfacing and inspection would cost?

live2rice 12-06-2013 02:10 PM

ThAt seems like a good price for a reman to me especially with the extra work yours needs done. I would think the work on yours would be in that price range. It will also cut down your turn around time for your 3-day window. As at the very least I would expect it to take 24hrs to get your head back.

UhOh 12-06-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by nickmg555 (Post 336697)
Also I only have 3 days to complete this project.

How much and how long do you guys think a head resurfacing and inspection would cost?

no input here. luck.

Hicksvilleshick 12-07-2013 03:45 PM

That's a HG. If your going with a reman head, 3 day turn around is not unrealistic.

nickmg555 12-09-2013 12:13 PM

Does anyone know of any shortcuts for the timing belt in regards to a head swap? The TB is new so I don't have to replace I just need to get it off the cam pulley. Is there any shortcuts so that I don't have to take the bottom cover and crank pulley off?