General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 accord SE cream in oil, coolant loss and overheat after long drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Default 97 accord SE cream in oil, coolant loss and overheat after long drive

I posted about this problem once before but wasn't able to get many likely causes so now that I have a few days off coming up I would like to hopefully fix this problem.

For over a year now I have always been having a coolant loss problem. And the oil would get creamy but I don't believe it to be condensation since its more than the typical amount and I commute 30 minutes of highway every day. There are no noticeable coolant leaks so i have to assume its internal. Exhaust is fairly clean with no noticeable steam or coolant Odor. When I drive longer than an hour coolant starts to fill the reservoir and spill out until the coolant level drops enough for the temp gauge to start spiking but during my daily 35 minute commute I have no problems but slowly loose coolant and have to top off every week.

It is my opinion that the head gasket is going allowing coolant into the oil and combustion gases into the coolant causing the coolant to spill out.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM

Are you losing any power

Old 12-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like a HG problem. Do a compression test, then a leak down test to verify.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

From what you described, the symptoms are a blown head gasket.

Here's a link with some info.:
Part 1 -How To Test for a Blown Head Gasket (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L)

Old 12-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Bad HG seems likely; compression test would be 1st step, my opinion.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM

HG was my guess as well. So another question! Is it more cost efficient to get the head resurfaced and magnafluxed?

orrr just buy a reman. Head. I can get a reman. With all the fixings and cam for about $230 which sounds appealing to me since I would also need to do some rebuilding on the head and replace seals and what not and one of my cam lobes is pretty badly worn.

Also I only have 3 days to complete this project.

How much and how long do you guys think a head resurfacing and inspection would cost?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

ThAt seems like a good price for a reman to me especially with the extra work yours needs done. I would think the work on yours would be in that price range. It will also cut down your turn around time for your 3-day window. As at the very least I would expect it to take 24hrs to get your head back.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by nickmg555
Also I only have 3 days to complete this project.

How much and how long do you guys think a head resurfacing and inspection would cost?
no input here. luck.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 PM

That's a HG. If your going with a reman head, 3 day turn around is not unrealistic.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Does anyone know of any shortcuts for the timing belt in regards to a head swap? The TB is new so I don't have to replace I just need to get it off the cam pulley. Is there any shortcuts so that I don't have to take the bottom cover and crank pulley off?

Quick Reply: 97 accord SE cream in oil, coolant loss and overheat after long drive