General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 EX ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 EX ABS light

So, I just had a question about my ABS light. It is off when i first start the car and come on as soon as I roll into my first turn. When it comes on, I hear something click in the dash near the right side. I do need to replace my C/V axles but I am not sure if that is the problem. I have tested the ABS to see if it actually works and it does. I slammed on the breaks at about 60 and the wheels didnt lock up so i'm assuming that the system actually works there is just something tripping the light.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

You can retrieve the ABS error code the same way as reading the CEL codes in an OBD-1 car. Jumper wire & flashing ABS lamp. Getting that code will help narrow down the problem.

What's wrong with your axle? There's a toothed ring around the outboard CV joint, and maybe that's not coming in proper alignment with the ABS sensor?? The ABS wheel sensors are magnetic, so sometimes they pick up metal shavings & get flaky?

Clicking sounds can travel around a car in very funny ways, with the soundproofing in the firewall. Better to open the hood, start & shift to drive, holding the brake. Have someone listening outside, maybe standing next to the right-front wheel?

Finally, with good traction, slamming on the brakes might not be a good test of the ABS. Try the same thing on a wet road (don't crash). You want to see that the ABS actually comes on; you'll feel the hammering in the brake pedal.