General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Honda Accord LX - Heater Stays On When Car Is Off

Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 97 Honda Accord LX - Heater Stays On When Car Is Off

Over the weekend, I noticed that my car's heater remains on even when the car's power is off and key is out of the ignition. Which has lead to my battery being completely drained on two days. Here's what I've done so far.

I removed the blower motor relay from my car and replaced it one from another Honda Accord (same year) and nothing happened. I checked on the ignition switched...nothing happened. I checked the fuses under the hood and below the driver's side....problem still persists.

My control ****, I've noticed, is broken. The **** itself came off. But I'm still able to turn the blower to zero. Even when I turn the blower to zero, the circulation light and the light below that remains on. My mechanic was telling me that if the **** is broken, the heat should still stuff off when the car is off...but I wouldn't know anything about that.

Any idea what this could be? Or...could the control switch actually be the problem?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your mechanic is wrong. Blower could run w/ keyswitch off, if blower motor relay is shorted and blower switch is grounded (any on position). Possible you have a bad blower switch. Also check that someone hasn't hot-wired the blower.

Only way power gets to the blower w/o mods is through the blower motor relay, so check that again.

Has blower and blower switch worked correctly in past?

good luck

Old 10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, the blower and the blower switched worked correctly in the past...for the most part. There was one instance where the switch fell off, I snapped it back in and thought nothing of it. I had no problem out of it then. This time, the switch won't snap back in. Even though I can use it to turn the blower off, the switch won't stick permanently.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Most likely cause is a damaged switch and stuck blower relay. Could you have changed wrong relay?

good luck

Old 10-27-2011, 04:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I only know of the 3 relays under the driver's side dash and the few under the hood. Where are the other relays? I'll check those too.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM

The blower motor relay is the center relay at the top of the under-dash fuse/relay panel.

regards

Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just to update this thread, here's what's happened since then.
The day before I was about to take my car to have it looked at, the problem went away on it's own. I don't know what made it go away, but it's been that way for more than a week now. I'm still gonna get it looked at, but in the meantime, I'm not having that problem.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Okay, we're back to this again.
Over the past couple of days, my car has been hesitating to start up. It gives a weak turnover before finally starting up. Well, this morning, I started it up...same thing with the weak turnover. But this time, I heard that same noise that came from the oil and alternator area and I was back to square one as far as the heater lights not shutting off.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? My mechanic told me he doesn't know.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 AM

Weak starting is usually a bad battery, fouled battery connections, or both. Have battery checked and clean connections. If problem persists, the starter may be faulty.

You heater blower problem is most likely a bad blower switch. It needs to be replaced.

good luck

Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ironically, the blower problem went away again on it's own. I'm still gonna change that switch just in case. As for the weak turnover, I still have a warranty on my battery, so I'll get that switched out and let you know how that goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Honda Accord LX - Heater Stays On When Car Is Off