General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 honda accord wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM
maui_wagon
Unregistered
Default 97 honda accord wont idle

wat we did was a 5 speed conversion in my 97 wagon but before the conversion the car ran and started normally when was automatic but now after the conversion the car dosent want to idle it just starts and dies out...i need help ASAP thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Do you get a new ECU from an accord that is a manual?

Does the check engine come on?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:57 PM
maui_wagon
Unregistered

no i did not get the ecu from the manual accord because i got the manual trans and block from a 94 accord which the obd is diffrent from my 97 accord so i couldnt use the ecu from that so im using my automatic ecu from my 97 accord but i bypassed all the automatic stuff like the auto sensors for the automatic trans and wat not and the car turns with the key but it dosent want to idle it just starts and dies

Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

There are some things that are different between the 94 and 97 engine. The crank position sensor is on the engine block on the 97 while it is in the distributor in the 94. Make sure that is wired properly.

I know that there is a jumper in the 94/95 ECU that you can remove that will turn the ECU from an automatic to a manual. The 97 might be the same, but I do not know that answer. PGMFI [dot] ORG would be the proper place to find out if your 97 has that jumper and what jumper you should remove.

You can try to jump the service connector to see if any error codes are stored on the ECU/TCU. That might explain a lot of your problems.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:11 PM
maui_wagon
Unregistered

i did the crank sensor part i knew that part but i just cant understand y it wont idle or anything because it was running before we changed the block and trans to a 5speed and im using my 97 accord head which was also running on my 97 block before i blew the piston on it

Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Also check that your timing belt was installed properly. Turn the crank to the mark and see if the camshaft marks line up on the cylinder head.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
maui_wagon
Unregistered

i checked that and its lined up correctly

Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

The 97 has an OBD2 connector behind the ashtray to get ECU/TCU error codes.

Your accord may still have a service connector that you can short using a thin paperclip. Follow the instructions in this link and let us know if you have this connector.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

The ECU will flash engine codes and the D4 light should flash the TCU codes.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 AM
maui_wagon
Unregistered

k thanks ill do that later ill update u on wat happens thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

So you used the head & it's sensors & the distributor are all from your 97, right?

You may have to use the 97 oil pump (on the front of the block) to allow you to bolt on the crankshaft sensor from your 97. Did you do that?

Quick Reply: 97 honda accord wont idle