General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 Temp issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Default 97 Temp issue

Hi i have a 97 Honda accord that gets a spike in tempreature after driving 70-80 miles, i did a pressure test for leaks and bled the bleeder valve i think my radiator is not circulating the coolant properly what do you think?

Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Default 97 honda accord gets hot after driving 70-80 miles.

Hi i have a 97 Honda accord that gets a spike in tempreature after driving 70-80 miles, i did a pressure test for leaks and bled the bleeder valve i think my radiator is not circulating the coolant properly what do you think?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Is the temperature spike happening while driving or is it mainly when at stops, e.g., at idle? Does the temp. drop when driving, where moving air cools helps cool the radiator?

If the car has A/C, are both fans (A/C condenser fan and radiator fan) operating when there is the temp. spike?

Bleeding from just the bleeder valve (by itself) is generally not the recommended procedure. If the thermostat didn't open during the process, there may still be air pockets in the cooling system.

Generally, the radiator cap should be left off or just put on loosely, then allow car to get to operating temperature where the thermostat opens. It is after the thermostat opens that most of the air purging from the cooling system happens.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

When was the last time the rad cap and thermostat was replaced. I do not like throwing parts at an issue but both of these are cheap and should almost be considered "wear items" IMO.

Some parts stores can test the rad cap.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes i just purchased a red cap and thermostat about a week ago. I can start the car let it sit on idle for 45 minutes both fans come on every few minutes and no spike till i hit traffic about 30 minutes after driving.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

This is about to get ugly.....I'm putting your two threads together.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by parrisonfire
Is the temperature spike happening while driving or is it mainly when at stops, e.g., at idle? Does the temp. drop when driving, where moving air cools helps cool the radiator? Yes

If the car has A/C, are both fans (A/C condenser fan and radiator fan) operating when there is the temp. spike? Yes

I can start the car let it idle for 30 minutes get in drive about 30 minutes and the temperature spike only happens when i hit traffic. I will put the car in neutral rev up the engine and the needle starts dropping and of coarse when i'm stopped the needle goes back up.
Possible thermostat problem and/or air in cooling system. I would try replacing the thermostat and then purge air out of system. When purging, the thermostat needs to have opened. During the air purging, I also will feel the lower radiator hose to check if it is hot to indicate that the thermostat has opened. It is when the thermostat opens, that most air pockets can come out of the cooling system. Do the air purging with the radiator cap off or very loosely on.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Replaced the thermostat and purged the air out of the system.

Just noticed today that both my cooling fans are squeaking and not coming on when sitting on idle after the car warms up, they may be failing and not coming on when suppose to. The radiator fan switch is unable to communicate with the fans. Going to replace the cooling fan, Thanks will let you know what happens.