General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 - '02 V6 auto trannies that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Default '98 - '02 V6 auto trannies that bad?

There's a 2001 EX V6 with auto tranny and 128k on the clock for sale in my neighborhood. I've heard bad things about the auto trannies from '98 - '02 but didn't know if that was for the 4 or 6 cylinder. At $5k, the price seems too high. I haven't looked into it beyond reading the for-sale sign, so I don't know anything about the history on it. If the trannies on these are questionable, I'll probably pass. I'm not looking for something that's perfect, but I don't want to be looking at a transmission replacement soon. I don't need another project, especially at the asking price.

I've read that Honda extended the warranty on the transmissions out to 80k miles. If the transmission was replaced by Honda, would it have had the proper fixes to the design flaws? Or was it just something to get the owners another 80k miles and hopefully make them happy?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

A couple of summers back I bought a 2001 EX V6 with 114,000 miles on the clock for $5,700, so the $5,000 being asked for the one you're looking at isn't too terribly far afield. Were I in your shoes I'd offer $4,000 with an eye to negotiating a price somewhere south of $4,500.

As for the reliability of the car itself, I've had no transmission issues (other than I wish it was a 6-Speed manual), however, I've had to have one rear wheel hub replaced, as well as a couple of sensors, a seat belt receiver, and of course the periodic refresh of the transmission fluid. Beyond that, the last 40,000 miles has only cost me normal maintenance items.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's hit or miss from what I've read, not from any actual experience. Fifth Gen automatic transmissions were bulletproof and for some reason Honda engineers lost their minds (or Honda cost accountants forced their insanity) resulting in crappy overall reliability of 98-on automatics:

tradeinqualityindex(dot)com/reports/Honda(dot)html

Compared to Camry:

tradeinqualityindex(dot)com/reports/Toyota(dot)html

Personally, I would buy a manual Accord or a V6 Camry.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the input. Those links have some interesting data.

I would prefer a manual myself, but the boss I sleep with (not the same as the boss who signs my paycheck) prefers an automatic. Also, I have a new driver in the family who is a little intimidated by anything with a manual transmission.

I'll sit this one out for a little while. If the car doesn't move, I might find out a little more about it.

I'll keep the Camry in mind, too. I just got used to how Honda cars work so I'd be back on the learning curve with the Camry. I don't need a V6, unless it's more reliable than the 4. Most 4 cylinder cars these days are adequate in the power department.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

I personally would never buy a 98-02 v6 automatic, just too much risk without enough reward.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 AM

Just make sure to test drive it and drive the **** out of it. If it shows any negative signs avoid it. If you buy it then just make sure to get the fluid drained and filled with Honda fluid every 20k.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Honda fluid every 20,000 miles? Isn't that a bit excessive?

Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I try to do 20~25K changes of the auto trans fluid in the Pilot - it just helps me sleep better.

IMHO, in a 98-02 there is no way I could sleep without doing that.

I'm not trying to start a debate just giving my personal opinion. We all have OCD when it comes to certain things - auto trans fluid is one of mine.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Granted I do lots of highway miles (like Cruise Control from 3 miles from home until 1 mile from the office with 25 miles in between), which is really easy on transmissions, but I went 40,000 miles on the ATF in my 2001, and have no idea how long it had been since the original owner had serviced the transmission. I'll probably go an easy forty to fifty thousand miles before I do it again.

I guess from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by basket_case
I'll keep the Camry in mind, too. I just got used to how Honda cars work so I'd be back on the learning curve with the Camry. I don't need a V6, unless it's more reliable than the 4. Most 4 cylinder cars these days are adequate in the power department.
I prefer a four cylinder too although '01-'06 four cylinder Camrys frequently had head bolts pull out. See youtube video Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE stripped head bolt repair NS300L fix. Camry V6 engines of the same vintage seem to have few reliability problems.

Quick Reply: '98 - '02 V6 auto trannies that bad?