General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 accord 2.3 f23a1 overheating?

Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Default 98 accord 2.3 f23a1 overheating?

i have read i think every thread in this forum about an over haeting problem im having. i didnt want to repost the same question, but i really couldnt find a cure. i bought this 1998 accord about three months ago and everything was fine. on the way to work one morning the top radiator hose busted and it overheated, just a little. i pulled over replaced the hose add water everything was fine. about 6 weekd later it busted a heater hose and lost a good bit of coolant. added more water and after that the temp gauge would creep up, but only on the way home. i wouldnt let it get to high before i would cut of the air and turn on the heat, which would drive the gauge back down. but once it started getting hot it would be up and down all the way home. i drive about 30 miles each way. so i replaced the hose, flushed the system per the haynes manual, replaced the stat, and filled the system with 50/50 coolant. still the same problem. both fans are working. i dont think im over heating because the radiator is still full and the overflow is exactly where it was when i did the stat. but when i see the gauge go up i get worried. i pulled the wire off the sending unit grounded it and the gauge goes all the way up to hot. is that the way to test it? another thing that makes me think its not over heating is, from what i have read here the fans will continue to run if it is hot enough and mine cut off as soon as i shut the engine down. i am going to get an temp gun and shoot a temp tonight...i will elt you know

Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Are the fans working?

Old 07-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Normally, when you're driving the radiator is designed to provide enough cooling that you do not need the fan - that's for idling mainly. Unless you do stop-and-go. I never had this problem with my 99, but always had this problem with my 89 Golf. I was able to solve it by replacing several t-stats. Brand new ones from generic auto parts stores did not work right. Some repair manuals recommend to check it before install, in boiling water, to see if it sticks, etc. I'd try to get a Honda genuine one, and see what happens.
Now that would be true if you did not have a busted rad hose - that means the t-stat was open but still pressure was too high. Is there a relief valve in the expansion tank cap - can't remember on mine. I'd check that as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Default update

it looks like in fact it is overheating. i just came back from a trip of about 20 miles and when i poped the hood to check the temps i could hear coolant going into the over flow. i temped it out and on the stat side it was like 180ish. the top radiator hose was 230ish. i have the manit records and looks like the water pump and timing belt where changed @ 120000 it now has 212000. i think i will try a factory stat tomorrow. also the radiator and cap are less than two years old.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM

yes sir the fans are working

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM

i guess i shouldnt have said the hose burst, the top hose developed a pin hole and leaked out enought water to over heat. the heater hose kinda did the same thing but at differnet times and when this hose leaked it never ran hot. but afterwards it started doing what its doing now.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to bleed the system. Really sounds like air in the cooling system-set the heat to max so you are getting the air out of the heater core as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:36 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Yes, make sure you bleed the coolant system. The bleed nut is passenger side of engine near firewall. It has a nipple on it but can be a pain to get to.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:40 AM

ok, i have replaced the stat with an oem one, flushed the system again and filled with 50/50 coolant. it ran a little hotter on saturday, according to the gauge, than normal. that is in the morning it will run about 3/8 on the gauge and saturday it was about half but it didnt overhest like it has been. sunday i bled the air out of the system and there was air in it. the top raditor hose is the highest ponit and i think that is where the air was trapped. so today when i drive home will be the real test. rush hour stop and go traffic. i will let you know wha happens.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Default car still over heating

saturday i replaced the tstat with an oem one. sunday i bled the system and i thought i got all the air out because monday it worked great tuesday it worked great but wednesday about 3/4 of the way home it started to over heat. i turned off the air and turned on the heat. the temp came down and ad long as i didnt trun the air on it didnt over heat. as soon as i would tuirn on the air the temp would start to climb...still got air in the system? im just about ready to pull the little bit of hair i got out...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 accord 2.3 f23a1 overheating?