General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord 4cyl Misfire - What Next?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Default 98 Accord 4cyl Misfire - What Next?

I have a 1998 Accord that has a misfire and idle issue.

First, let's start off with the codes I am getting:

P1129
P1739
P1399
P0300
P0302
P0301

After researching the various codes on this site, I have performed the following actions:

1) Replaced the spark plugs: 0% improvement
2) Lucas Fuel Treatment: 0% improvement (i'm sure it takes several hundred miles to see a difference - 50 miles so far)
3) Purged the cooling system to remove any excess air: 0 % improvement
4) Cleaned the IAVC: a lot of carbon - 10% improvement
5) Cleaned the EGR valve and ports: a lot of carbon, almost clogged completely - 5 % improvement
6) Cleaned the MAP sensor: spray carb cleaner in nipple - 0 % improvement
7) Checked for vacuum leak
8) Reset all valve clearances

After each of these steps, I reset the ECU (unhooked battery), IAVC and set the base idle by following the steps I found on here. I made sure to let the engine cool completely before starting.

I uploaded several videos to youtube showing how the engine is running:

1) Idle: Idle.AVI - YouTube

In this video, you can see how the engine idles up and down.

2) Exhaust: Exhaust.AVI - YouTube

In this video, you will notice there is a bit of moisture coming from the exhaust. I don't know if this is from the morning condensation or if I possibly have a blown head gasket. I have checked the coolant level and it doesn't appear to be dropping. It does stop after several minutes. What's more interesting is the black stuff that is coming out, you can see it on the concrete. Could this be because of the Lucas Treatment or the residue from cleaning the IAVC and EGR?

3) Idle After pulling spark plug wires: Idle - Idle - Pull Plugs.AVI - YouTube

As suggested on this site, I pulled a couple of plug wires to see if I could identify the bad cylinder(s). When I pull wire 1 & 2, there is little to no change in the idle. As soon as I pull number 3, the engine starts to die. I also started from the other direction, and pulled 4 and the engine died immediately.

Also, plugs 1 -3 already have a lot of carbon build up after only 50 or so miles. Plug # 4 looks good, light brown.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Last edited by hondamxracer; 11-12-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest inspecting/replacing as indicated the spark plug wires and distributor cap. These are only things that would interupt spark on only those two cylinders.

Other codes don't appear to be related. I could not find a P1399.

Any electrical issues w/ charging or starting? Low voltage might cause some problems. Suggest monitoring voltage output w/ a plugin battery monitor (walmart for around $15).

Did same codes return after each ECU reset?

good luck

Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM

After replacing the items below, the car will not start.
  • spark plugs
  • spark plug wires
  • distributor cap
  • distributor button
I made sure the firing order was as follows: | Specifications | Firing Order | AutoZone.com

If I move #1 up one stop (clock wise), the car will start but idles the same as before. Real rough.

The timing belt was changed just over a year ago. Is it possible the engine is not in time?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Have you checked that you haven't installed distributor 180 off. In this position it will not start, but might by moving a spark plug lead around. If the distributor face is misaligned slightly w/ cylinder head face, you are installed backwards.

It's easy to do and most have done this. I've managed twice.

good luck

Old 11-19-2011, 08:54 AM

When I replaced the cap, I only loosened the three screws that hold the cap on.

The bolts that hold the distributor on, do not have any markings as if they were removed.

To make sure I got the firing order correct, please see the images at: https://picasaweb.google.com/hondamx...eat=directlink

This is the firing order as noted here: | Specifications | Firing Order | AutoZone.com

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Is there a "mark" on the cap by one of the terminals....Using my 95 as a ref, it looks like you are off by one...every wire needs to rotate clockwise one position.....again check the cap for a mark/circle...that should be #1 wire.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I agree w/ PM, you're off on spark plug leads.

Use the radial ridge on the distributor cap as a reference line. #3 tower is immediately LH side of ridge and #4 on RH side of ridge. Firing order alignment is correct.

good luck

Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM

thanks for the responses!

Does this look correct?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 AM

That matches my 94 Manual for F22B1 engine and the Autozone diagram also.

good luck

Old 11-19-2011, 12:29 PM

The car will now idle up and down until warm. Then the idle is constant but still sounds like there is a misfire.

The first time I touch the gas after it has been idling, the car dies and will not stay running unless I press the gas pedal.

When I rev the enigne to keep it running, I can see white smoke.

Also, I just found out that after the timing belt was changed, the bottom pulley on the crank fell off while driving. I'm thinking this might be the root cause of my issues.

Do you suspect there is valve damage? Blown head gasket by chance?

What would you try next?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Accord 4cyl Misfire - What Next?