General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 AM
Default 98 Accord

I have a question. Is it possible to change the FWD into a AWD on a 98 Accord?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Swapping to an AWD would be very expensive and not worth it. There isn't a simple swap from an awd acura and the 98-02 accords (or any accord as far as I know) don't have awd as an option. You would have to do a lot of fabrication work and electrical work to even have a shot of getting it to work properly.

Suggest looking for an awd vehicle if you really need awd. Much simpler to work on for parts/troubleshooting, since it is already setup for awd.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:27 AM

The question is, is it possible to do? If so then I'll be looking forward to make that swap, if not then I'll just keep it as is.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Anything is possible with enough money, so I'd guess it could be done.

I don't know where you would start, but you would have to do a ton of research before even attempting. The Acura TL had an AWD for the V6 starting around 2010 and may be your only option for an awd swap. I'm not sure how it would or even could mount to the 98 accord.

I would highly recommend not attempting.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:18 PM

I'll check it out first and if it seems too Risky then I won't attempt.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:39 PM

Also I'm dumping lots of money into it any who since I am doing a complete make over (plan to). The whole inside and out is being changed (some parts just getting new). I also have a Subaru and gotten so use to an AWD machine. I can't do anything with the Subaru since it is the family company car so I got an 98 Accord for $400. Thought something was wrong with it being sold at that price but it's in really good condition (driving wise) with minor body rust and two hoes I need to replace. So I thought to pass some time to start a project in redoing this car making it better and at the same time learn about mechanics in the process. As I said on the greetings I'll start on the interior first but need some tips on what and where to get things I need.