General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Default 98 Accord cruise control

Now that I have the running lights fixed I would like to get the cruise control working on my '98 Accord LX. It quit quite suddenly - worked one day and the next time it didn't. The light on the cruise button comes on and the dash "Cruise" light comes on when the set button on the wheel is pushed but then it seems to choke the car and shifts down and revs and runs really rough and loses speed. The service station said it was probably a mechanical problem in the ??? module and would cost $800.00 at least to fix since they're not allowed to fix that module, only replace it - they didn't actually check it out or anything. Does anyone know if this is a do-it-yourself job and how to go about it?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Please have is scaned for stored codes. Especially before replacing anything.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 PM

The check engine light has never gone on - does this mean there are no stored codes?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Does it run perfectly fine other than when you try to set the cruise control?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Yes everything else is fine. Also, if you press on the accel. button on the wheel when cruise is "set" it causes the same choking, shifting etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

Missed this before, may be related, what was wrong with the lights, did you happen to have to pull the steering wheel?

Is the cable at the tb properly set/attached?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM

The daytime running lights weren't working. I took out the module and resoldered it and now they work. I did not pull the steering wheel. What is the tb?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

tb= Throttle Body

Where the throttle cable attaches to the "spool" that opens and closes the butterfly. Should be at least two cable (3 if auto), find the one from the crusie and be sure it is attached.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest getting the download 94-97 Accord Manual via Online Manuals links in DIY forum. This should be close enough for your 98 Accord. There is a wiring diagram, diagnostics map and checks to be performed.

Of course a 98 manual would be better. There is a good 98 manual available for $21.99 from automanualsource (seller) on ebay. I've bought from him and he is a great seller.

good luck

Old 09-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Thank you Poorman212 and TexasHonda. I followed the advice both of you gave and the cable for the cruise had indeed come off. I think a little piece of the spool where the cable end fits in has rusted off and it is not being held securely. I put it back on and the cruise worked - with a slight hesitation and drop in speed before holding set speed. Is that spool part difficult to replace or could I just wire the cable on with stainless wire?

Quick Reply: 98 Accord cruise control