General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 accord heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Default 98 accord heater

Ok. My accord has some issues. First of all when the car is warm and it is just sitting the heater isnt blowing very hard and it blows cold air. when you start driving the fan blows harder but the heat is only warm and it doesnt blow as hard as it should. Second if you turn the headlights on and then hit a button on the climate control the climate control stops working. Turn off the headlights and wait a few seconds then press a button on the climate control it starts working again. any ideas on what any of these problems can be? I have owned many accords and all have been older than a 98 and I have never had as many problems with any of them as I do this car.

Thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

That is strange.

For starters, have you changed out the cabin air filters? I have read that is kind of PIA to do. Might help your air flow problem.

There may be a problem with the battery/alternator to give you that increased fan speed when accelerating. You may want to clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables. Also, most parts stores will test the battery/alternator for free.

The heat is controlled by a valve in the engine bay that will allow the coolant to flow through the heater core. I think the valve is still cable adjusted in the 98 accord. See if the cable moves the valve when you change the temperature.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM

ok. I will try these things.

thanks.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

The water valve IS operated by cable, but buried inside the dashboard that cable is driven by a motor. So... you have to have the key turned ON when you check for cable movement.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:22 PM

ok thanks. I will check when it isnt 20 below zero. lol. it sucks right now though cause it doesnt blow hot air and its cold as hell outside..

Old 01-24-2011, 08:03 PM

the water valve is opening and closing. I replaced the thermostat dont think that was the problem but we will see tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Make sure you get all air out of the cooling system. That can contribute to the problem. There's a bleed valve at the thermostat housing.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM

all the air is out. now the only problem is dealing with the climate control. sometimes it wont work. the fan will work but the buttons wont light up and when you touch what button you want it wont do anything. Have to wait for it to light up and then you can change what you want. do these climate controls go bad? or is it another problem?

Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM

by the way PAhonda... Hope your steelers kill the packers.....

Old 01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Without doing some electrical tests, I would guess that the problem is the HVAC controls.

Does all of the other electrical stuff work when the HVAC does not?

Hope the Steelers win too.

Quick Reply: 98 accord heater