General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord Heater Control Panel - operates sporaticly

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 Accord Heater Control Panel - operates sporaticly

Car: 98 accord coupe, automatic, 4 cyl. Problem: the heater control panel works sporaticly - can not select different modes and lights above the various buttons don't glow. But the fan switch always works. Usually when I first start the car the panel mode selector lights will work and I can select the various vent modes but then after a few minutes the light goes dark and can't select from one mode to the next. When the panel is working you can select the A/C and it works fine. So, I read a lot of other threads, I removed the panel and checked the connectors and examed the electronic board for loose components but can find the problem. So, I think the panel is has a soider joint that has gone bad.

Before I buy a new panel one question: would the A/C compressor clutch have anything to do with the control panel not working? As I said - when the panel is working I can select he A/C and it works fine.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

The a/c compressor should have nothing to do with the electronics of the HVAC panel. The HVAC panel turns on the a/c compressor.

It is probably a problem with the HVAC unit. You can try to look for bad solder joints or capacitors that are leaking/bulging at the top.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda - thanks for the reply. With the electronic components being so small it's difficult to identify a broken soider point. I'll work on it today and let you.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can extract the circuit board and see the solder jts, you may be able to spot a "cold" jt. The solder separates from the component or wire post leaving a small crack/gap between the post and solder. If you can find high magnification spectacles or magnifying glass, you can usually spot them. Some cracks are very fine and difficult to see even w/ magnifying glass.

It may be simpler to buy a used part and swap into place. Check ebay, local salvage yards and car-part.com for a part near you. A quick check suggests $25-$50 should cover.

good luck

Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

TexasHonda - what you suggested is exactly what I'm going to do in about 1/2 hour. As you recommended if I can't find the bad connection I'll just search for a used board or complete panel on ebay........thanks for your message.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

End of story - so after check the solder joints and re-soldering some of them to make sure they were connect the problem still remained. I purchase a new panel and installed this afternoon - problem fixed. Thanks everyone for making this a great forum.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

We thought you may get away with a cheap fix with the solder. Anyway, thanks for posting the results, and we are glad you got it fixed.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:21 AM

I need this circuit board! I can not find it on any parts website! Can anyone help me! thx

Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I doubt circuit board is available as a stand-alone part. You will have to buy a used control panel and replace control panel. Check car-part.com and ebay for options.

good luck

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quick Reply: 98 Accord Heater Control Panel - operates sporaticly