General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Accord High Idle Follow Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Default 98 Accord High Idle Follow Up Question

So, my 98 Accord I just acquired is in sad shape. I spent a good portion yesterday getting everything clean. The interior has been soaked by the PO leaving the broken window uncovered. Well, anyways, the battery was discharged to such a state that I was unable to jump the car to let her warm up so I went to the store to pick up another one. Unfortunately I left the hood up on the car and it rained. I came back in a couple of hours but let me tell you quite a bit of water fell onto the motor. Closed the hood and today finally connected the battery and started the car. She started right up but after a few seconds it idled all the way up to almost 2k. I left it alone and watched as the car came to operating temperature but still with the same idle. I blipped the throttle a few times, checked connections and all seems good. It idles at 2k hot and cold. I'm wondering if I should try and adjust the idle as described in one of the posts here or if it's possible the IAC Valve electrical connections are fried from the rain? I made sure everything was good and dry but it rained quite a bit.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

The wiring plugs normally are pretty waterproof. Imagine what the engine compartment looks like when you drive through puddles in the rain...

Try the base idle adjustment & reset/relearn. But normally you want to take care of all the general maintenance first. Find & fix vacuum leaks, bleed air out of cooling system, stuff like that.