General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Accord start up problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM
v_ryu6
Unregistered
Default 98 Accord start up problems

I have a 98 accord lx 4 cyl 5 spd

I have been having some problems with my car starting up. It always starts up the first time, but after I turn off the car and try to start it up again it gives me a little trouble. I have to give it gas in order for it to start. It doesn't die after it starts up, but it doesn't run well when running. The engine acceleration is slow and the engine doesn't perform well.

When I turn my key to ON, I hear a faint hum sound for about 2-3 seconds or so.

I went to get a new fuel filter at Advance Auto Part, but they told me that it is part of my fuel pump and they were selling that for over $100.

I looked up a few posts on a similar issue, but I am not sure what to do or how to do it. Could I change my fuel pump myself? I never really did any real car work beside general things. I have access to almost a full set of tools.

Can I get some advice/guidance on this issue? Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!

There isn't a normal fuel filter; it's a fine mesh bag at the pump inlet. Not a routine replacement. I think you have to lower the fuel tank to get the pump out, so I wouldn't do that unless I actually measured bad fuel pressure & ruled out a bad FPR.

Faint hum for 2 seconds when you turn on the key is normal - that's the fuel pump.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:55 PM

You don't ahve to lower the tank. You can pull the pump out from the trunk.
You could pull out the pump and see if there is any garbage clogging up the mesh screen.

Other than that: does the check engine light come on when it is not running well?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
v_ryu6
Unregistered

My check engine light has been on for a while. I ran it through the computer and it said that it was an EGR problem. That was a few weeks ago. I will check that again today and see if it is different.

Where in the trunk can I access the fuel pump? Can someone teach and explain to me how to do this?

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Might want to look into the EGR problem before trying to chase down a fuel problem. Clogged EGR ports could possibly be causing your problems.
although I did not think they were as common on 6th gen accords.....

Get the touble code (Pxxxx) and post it here

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

When you check the code, get the actual code number. Not just the text explanation.

Take up the carpeting from the floor of the trunk. Look way forward for a round cover like #39. Open that & you'll see the actual tank with another cover #15. Under that #15 cover is the fuel pump #1 & #3.

Some other years only had access from the trunk to the fuel gauge sender, so hopefully this works.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:57 PM
v_ryu6
Unregistered

I ran the code through the computer and it's P1491. The Autozone worker said that it is a general code and could be my gas cap to a hose or something like that. Should I go back and re-run it through the computer again?

Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

That code is for the EGR system. The port is likely plugged up and needs cleaned out.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

P1491 = EGR valve insufficient lift. Plugged ports in the intake manifold, like PA says.

That's not a "general code". Good example of why the number is more important than the guy's description. Gas cap would set P1456.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
v_ryu6
Unregistered

I keep trying to search EGR in the forum search and it isn't working. Maybe there is some sort of spam filter or something, I don't know How do I get to the EGR and the EGR port to clean them? What do I need to clean it? How do I go about cleaning?

I really appreciate all of this help.

Quick Reply: 98 Accord start up problems