General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 auto EX Idle fixed but wont go cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 98 auto EX Idle fixed but wont go cold

Well the car idles fine again but the original problem remains. I had ruined the IACV in a throttle body cleaning to try and get rid of this issue. Here goes: when first started the engine idles normally. We have a small hill on our street and the car wont accelerate up this hill at all. It just bogs no matter how hard you press the accelerator down. Once out of the neighborhood the car shifts and runs normally. The car will run completely fine after that initial hill. No check engine light either.

The transmission issues never slips or shifts improperly. The throttle body is now clean and the IACV new. The egr passage has been cleaned out also. New NGK plugs, cap and rotor button. Air filter is fine and the coolant is new (and air bled out).

It has started to misbehave more often lately. It bogged down in some stop and go traffic today. It will always do it when cold but rarely while warm (only once so far). Gotta figure this thing out. Thanks all...

Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

With all of this. have you let the car re-learn base idle?

Also, what are the rpm's when cold, say after work when you are coming home. What is it once the car is to op temp?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Cold it idles at 1300 rpm. It runs 500 rpm at idle when warm. I did do a idle relearn also.

Just tried something with it. Took it out with engine cold. Tried revving the engine in neutral during one of its uphill struggles. It revs fine with no load. As soon as it is back in drive it bogs down again. If you floor the gas the car will take off and pull strongly. It only gives trouble with a gradual acceleration. Once it starts bogging you can feed more gas pedal but the rpm will not rise and the car just slowly ascends the hill. There is no backfiring and no check engine light. This has been going on for several tanks of fuel now. It kinda feels like a five speed car trying to climb a hill in to low a gear more than any kind of an engine miss. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 98accordpain; 10-20-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

In this thread ; https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/ , there is a write up by Jim on the idle.

Let us know if the issue is still there after this.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

Now this doesn't sound like an idle issue any more. Once you press the gas pedal, the idle control system switches off.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'll try and check resistance in the plug wires and coil. After that I'll probably give up and take it to a shop to check the fuel volume and pressure. I will report back here with any findings. I'll be monitoring for any further ideas from anyone. thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

There are still a few things in play, yes the base idle was a cheap and easy try/guess.

From there, well IMHO - we've got a HG issue, again a reach but can be tested for. An egr valve that might be hanigng open - cleaning the port and valve can never hurt.

Be sure there are no stored codes, someone might have pulled the bulb.

Again, this is a strange one so I'm going way out there.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM

Almost sounds like it's not down shifting. Did you try manually going through the gears?

Not sure what gear selections you have on EX 4CYL AT. I have a 98' EX V6 AT.

--
Pierce

Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The primary side of the ignition coil shows excessive resistance. I'll try and get a coil ordered and we'll give her one more try. I've decided it was not the transmission. It will act up when set in first gear. When cold it always balks. The coil is the only temperature sensitive thing I can think of. It needs one anyway.

After this I give up and will take it to the shop.
I'll post when I know more. thanks

Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well it's in the shop for now. The old coil measured the same resistance as the new one so I returned it. The spark plug wires were shot so they were replaced. Still bogging under load when cold so I gave up. We'll see what the professionals find.

Quick Reply: 98 auto EX Idle fixed but wont go cold