General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 EX V6 Cooling Fan not working in drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

The "outer" part, this is on plug side-wires going in, correct. Can you post a pic showing exactly what you are talking about....I think you're fine but a pic would help. Either way, you know that jumping make the fans run. Pretty much have it down to the switch....

Old 01-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rolling
The cap on the unit, is partially broken off around the outer lower edge. Would that be why the therm is no good? Also is it part of the ThermA or is it something extra that I must order so it all fits together? I can't really explain better what it is..... you probably are familiar with this this setup.
The plastic portion of the Thermo-switch probably would not be the cause if it is not working. The part is one unit, it comes with an o-ring. I actually have a new one that I gave to my nephew, so I don't have it to take a picture of it.

The part number is either 37760-P00-003 or 37760-P00-004 (same part, different manufacturer); either works. This link shows the actual part though.

autodynamics-honda.com/hop00rafanth.html

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

If the terminals of the switch were damaged or had corrosion or dirt, then it may give you problems; but, a bit of the plastic broken off at the outer edge shouldn't do much. It may just be the switch failed.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Is it broken so it doesn't properly make contact? Like the snap parts are broken & the wire doesn't stay completely plugged in?

You could figure out some ghetto way of holding it together. Nylon wire-tie? But really, a new part would be best so it seals out water & corrosion. Which part is broken? Part of the fan switch? Or the plug attached to the wire?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake

You could figure out some ghetto way of holding it together. Nylon wire-tie?
That's not ghetto enough. I don't think in the ghetto they use much wire-ties. Wouldn't tape or something else be more ghetto?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

This same exact thing just happened to my 92 Accord today, gonna have to check that sensor, thanks for the info...

Old 01-28-2011, 10:46 PM

Thermo A for slightly less than half the price, online. I just offed my 83 Audi and it ran fine with OEM replacement parts.

BA-2011650-1.jpg

Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 PM

By the way folks do I really need to buy and official HONDA replacement for this Thermo A switch? I often bought replacement parts for my 83' Audi that were OEM, and much cheaper.

I just found this online for less than half of what HONDA asks.

Also I read somewhere in all the posts that I must "air bleed" the line now.... oh I hope not!

You're all so wonderful and there for me, and I can't thank you enough!

http://img.eautopartscatalog.c...C.JPG

Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 PM

Hi
Now I have seen online a pic of the Thermo and realize that the plastic is part of it. the broken part is the plastic edge of the switch, the the wire side is fine, no corrosion, and it plugs in fine, so as JIMBLAKE said it's probably just a dead switch.

So Fellas should I just assume it's time for a new switch and give it a whirl? The one I found for $25 is by Beck Arnley. I will definately make sure before I order it that it fits the part # you gave me redbull.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM

One last question.... Do you use OEM parts? I found this switch by Standard or Beck/Arnely for very cheap. Please let me know ASAP.

Quick Reply: 98 EX V6 Cooling Fan not working in drive