General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 honda accord catalytic converter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 PM

ok so now i havent touched mycar in a few days, and i started it up yesterday and its running like crap. its sputtering like whoa... catilytic converter major possible issue? what do you suggest? i still have not yet gotten any codes, but i wanna know if the oxygen sensor or converter would do this.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

The only way a catalytic converter could cause this problem is if it was clogged. That second O2 sensor does not affect how the engine runs that is bolted into the converter.

If you want to remove it and test drive your car, then give it a shot. You can also shine a light into the converter to see if the honeycomb is intact.

If you try this, your car will sound very loud. If your car does run normally, then you verified that you have a clog in your exhaust somewhere. The bolts on the converter are likely to be rusty if you attempt to remove.

EDIT: It would also help out if you could get those error codes.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:17 PM

is there anything i can spray on the bolts to get some rust off? like wd40?
Where could i buy new bolts? autozone couldn't tell me if they had what i needed.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Several products work way better than WD-40
PB-Blaster
Kroil
Liquid Wrench

The bolts are special, so you gotta go to a dealer for IDENTICAL bolts. But I've matched their size with stainless-steel bolts from a local hardware store & that worked OK.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM

ok so some parts stores may have some that will do for a while? the closest honda dealership is about 200 miles away from me right now

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM

ok so i just pulled my spark plugs and they are crap...this is the 3rd time i have had to change plugs in a year and a half.....is my upstream sensor causing this? again i have
poor gas mileage
power loss
misfire in all cylinders
smell of gas
sputtering exaust
lately, the car is spitting and sputtering terribly over all and i wont drive it bc of it
erratic idle (at times)

other issues ( i think are cause by clogged converte r[or sensor], but not sure)
terrible oil leak. wasn't that bad until just recently, comes out while driving.
the bad gas mileage
the gas smell
sputtering exaust

Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Will you tell us the error codes you keep getting? Did you remove the catalytic converter yet? Where is the oil leak?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 AM

i dnt have any codes for it, im in bfe ill have to borrow one from someone if anyone around here has one and im not sure exactly where its coming from yet. its a mess under there, ill have to clean it off and pour more in and run the rpms and see where. but does it all link to one problem? like, could the o2 sensor be causing me to go thru plugs? hopefully new plugs will stop the sputtering....

Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

The codes will determine what sensor is possibly out on your car.

The massive oil leak would be my first concern. Clean as much oil off the engine as possible and try to find the general area of the leak. Let us know what you find.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Quick Reply: 98 honda accord catalytic converter question