General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Default 99 Accord

Hey everyone. Got a 99 accord that has been sitting for 2 months or so. Its got the idle problem where when warm the rpms jump about a 1000-1200 when in park so i need to know wut to do about that. And also i put a brand new battery in it and with jumper cables all it would do is turn over. Wouldnt fire off. Finally got it to crank and it ran out of gas so put gas in it and it wouldnt do anything unless the jumper cables were hooked up. Lights on the dash would come on but the motor wouldnt do anything. Old posts were saying change the main relay. So i took it out and the motor would turn over but not fire off. Bought a new relay put it in and still the same thing. Motor wouldnt do anything with it in take it out and it turns over but wont fire off. Anybody had this problem before??

Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Squirt starting fluid into the intake and try to start it. Does it fire up?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM

The car is at my sisters so ill try that in a lil while. But what about the problem of it not doing anything without jumper cables hooked up? For the starter fluid to work it has to turn over right?

Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM

Yes, your new battery is probably dead or has loose connections

It's probably a fuel issue so do the fluid test to narrow it down

Old 08-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Ok ill try that thank you. Have you had the idle problem?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM

check for unplugged/cracked hoses. Also you should take out and clean the IACV valve, it sounds like it's stuck in "fast idle" which is for warming up cold engines.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Acutally what you need to do is "test" and not guess....doctorbee, please! - if it was "stuck in fast idle" - why is it bouncing - if it is stuck it is stuck?

So I would get a simple volt meter and test the voltage. Sounds more like you have a connection issue at the battery. Again be sure the connections are clean and tight. Then test the voltage of the battery and the voltage from the large cable on the starter to ground? What are the two readings?

Lets get the car starting without jumper cables first.....and that might mean adding some more gas as I'm not sure how much you put in after it ran out.

Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator?