General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord 4cyl idle surge issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Default 99 Accord 4cyl idle surge issues

I have a 99 Accord 4cyl 5-speed. I am having the infamous honda idle surging issues. Back story: driving down the freeway one night and started losing lights then eventually everything and left stranded on road. Took alternator in and tested fine, battery tested bad so replaced that! Now i have the battery, doors open and brake light illuminated, as well as thw idle surge from 1100-1800 while in neutral. Replaced IACV, cleaned throttle body, and intake port, pulled ECU fuse to reset. Idles fine after reseting until i put it in gear to drive and surge returns... Please Help!!!!

Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 PM

Did you do any work that required draining the coolant? If so, then you need to bleed the air out.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:40 PM

A bad battery and good alternator should not leave you on the side of the road as you describe.

Is the CEL on?

Old 03-29-2018, 02:09 PM

I have topped off and bled the coolant system per another thread i had read, reset ECU fuse and still have the surging idle.

Only check engine light that has ever come on had to do with the IACV, which i replaced.

Still stumped and not wanting to take it to a shop. I have sprayed and checked for vacuum leaks and no results.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-29-2018, 03:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Kenny Hill
I have topped off and bled the coolant system per another thread i had read, reset ECU fuse and still have the surging idle.

Only check engine light that has ever come on had to do with the IACV, which i replaced.

Still stumped and not wanting to take it to a shop. I have sprayed and checked for vacuum leaks and no results.

Any other ideas?
Just because you replaced the IAC valve doesn't mean it's a good one. Yes, they do make bad parts.
Pull the air intake snorkel off to get to the throttle body, and plug the hole feeding the IAC air and see if it stops the surging. If that doesn't work...
Try turning the AC on high, and see if it still surges. If it stops, then replace the valve. If not, you'll need to do more searching.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Just because you replaced the IAC valve doesn't mean it's a good one. Yes, they do make bad parts.
Pull the air intake snorkel off to get to the throttle body, and plug the hole feeding the IAC air and see if it stops the surging. If that doesn't work...
Try turning the AC on high, and see if it still surges. If it stops, then replace the valve. If not, you'll need to do more searching.

i will try that and update, thanks!

Old 03-30-2018, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Have you tried adjusting the base idle then forcing it to "re-learn" the idle? Try this...
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-speed-38734/

Old 03-31-2018, 02:15 PM

So update.... the IACV seems to be opening up and fixing itself, just need to drive it more. Drive it around and when i park the idle surges two or three times and then settles down to a normal idle. Still not where i want it to be, considering i have to smog it this month. Ive adjusted the idle screw to try and level out the idle nice and smooth, beat idle i have after adjustment is about 1000-1100, sound about right?

Will start another thread on this separate question, but throwing it out in here because it started once i started having this idle issue. So my doors open, battery, and brake lights are staying illuminated on the dash all the time. Any ideas of how to fix it?

Old 03-31-2018, 02:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Kenny Hill
So update.... the IACV seems to be opening up and fixing itself, just need to drive it more. Drive it around and when i park the idle surges two or three times and then settles down to a normal idle. Still not where i want it to be, considering i have to smog it this month. Ive adjusted the idle screw to try and level out the idle nice and smooth, beat idle i have after adjustment is about 1000-1100, sound about right?

Idle speed when warm is 750 rpms.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Have you tried adjusting the base idle then forcing it to "re-learn" the idle? Try this...
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-speed-38734/

JimBlake, I actually attempted resetting and re-learning the idle from your post, and no luck. Now that it is running a little better, i may try again

Update****
Did re-learn idle process with no luck, surge is back. Kind of frustrated now, guess im gonna have to go get the $168 IACV and start there...

Last edited by Kenny Hill; 03-31-2018 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: 99 Accord 4cyl idle surge issues