General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord EX 3.0L Auto transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Default 99 Accord EX 3.0L Auto transmission problems

I do auto repair on the side. One of my customers brought me a 99 accord with tranny problems. I drove the car and it would only pull in 2nd gear. When I put it in 1st, 3rd, and 4th, it would just rev up. I did a little research and dicovered 98-02 honda's had trans problems. So I pulled the transmission out and took it to a transmission shop to have it rebuilt. When i picked it up, he told me he put everything brand new in it. He also showed me the 3-4 clutches and friction discs that were burnt up. Supposedly he put all new parts in it, even the converter. So I put it back in, with honda fluid. Now its doing almost the same thing. I'll put it in 1st, and it'll start out in 2nd, or put it in d4 and it rev up or pull for a few seconds and rev up. Sometimes I can put it in 1st and it'll actually go in first. It shifted thru all the gears and into od one time and i had to drive it wide open for it to do it. Its randomly doing whatever it wants. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Some of this I'm sure you have done but I just want to cover as much as I can.

Any stored codes in the PCM.

Have you re-checked the fluid level.

Is the shift cable properly adjusted.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Some of this I'm sure you have done but I just want to cover as much as I can.

Any stored codes in the PCM.

Have you re-checked the fluid level.

Is the shift cable properly adjusted.
I have rechecked the fluid and adjusted cable properly. I still need to check for codes. I dont have a scanner, and would have to pay someone to come hook it up or take the car somewhere. So if it were to be a shift solenoid, would the scan tool tell me which one? Thanks again

Old 11-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

You can try the OBD1 way where you short two wires in the 16-pin data link connector. Brown to black (make sure you have the correct pins to short or you can damage the PCM).

modifry.com/freebies/old/dtc/index.htm

The check engine light will blink engine codes and the D4 light will blink transmission codes. A long blink = 10, short = 1, so LLSS=22.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You can try the OBD1 way where you short two wires in the 16-pin data link connector. Brown to black (make sure you have the correct pins to short or you can damage the PCM).

modifry.com/freebies/old/dtc/index.htm

The check engine light will blink engine codes and the D4 light will blink transmission codes. A long blink = 10, short = 1, so LLSS=22.
I just pulled the codes like you explained. The codes were 7-2,&7-3. The D4 light didn't blink any. The chart in your emample indicated misfire #2 &#3 cylinders. Not sure if that chart applies to all honda models or not. It has been misfiring since ive had it. The customer does want a tune up, but was mainly focusing on the trans. Is it possible for an engine misfire to cause the trans to do all these random things?

Old 12-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Anything is possible but not really the likely cause. That transmission with the issues that they have is really hard to rebuild, even for the more experienced shops. I have replaced hundreds of them with factory or OEM factory rebuilds with no problems. Unfortunately no one will devuldge what the root of the problem is, but, having also rebuilt several we know that it has something to do with the micro ports where the fluid flows. When rebuilding them them trany should be dipped in a hot bath and ports have to be cleaned.

As far as the miss fire goes check the codes to see which cylinder(s), clear the codes and swap known good coil packs with the miss fire cylinder packs. If the codes come back the same then you have ruled out a coil issue. If it is 301 and 306 codes then it is likely the EGR port located within the intake manifold which has a Honda service bulletin posted for it. Use any OBDII scanner to get the codes assuming the engine light is on.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jwalden4
I just pulled the codes like you explained. The codes were 7-2,&7-3. The D4 light didn't blink any. The chart in your emample indicated misfire #2  cylinders. Not sure if that chart applies to all honda models or not. It has been misfiring since ive had it. The customer does want a tune up, but was mainly focusing on the trans. Is it possible for an engine misfire to cause the trans to do all these random things?
It sounds very much like the car has one bad coil pack; swap the packs around and track the problem.

I'm not saying the car doesn't also have a transmission issue, but one thing at a time.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

1999 Accord V6 didn't have coil packs. 2000-2002 V6 did.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Oops! I just got done with a 01 and had my head in the wrong place.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1999 Accord V6 didn't have coil packs. 2000-2002 V6 did.
Thanks, I didn't know that; just assumed all Gen 6 V6 motors were pretty similar.

Quick Reply: 99 Accord EX 3.0L Auto transmission problems