General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'99 Accord Ex Coupe (4-cyl, 130k miles) stalling while idling

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 AM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered
Default '99 Accord Ex Coupe (4-cyl, 130k miles) stalling while idling

Recently, my car has been stalling while idling at stop lights, sometimes stop signs (if i actually make a complete stop...) and sometimes even right before I get to the light.

Usually it's at lights and the RPMs drop below 1000 (around 750) the engine sputters then dies. I turn it back on and it runs fine. I have to put it on neutral and rev it a bit (around 1k) to make sure it doesn't stall at a light.

Most of the time it happens when the engine is cold, especially at the beginning of the day, stalling while waiting for the light to let me into the freeway...

There's no CEL and when I took it to get its oil changed I asked to see if they can identify the problem and they weren't sure and suggested that a fluid exchange might fix the problem...but i'm pretty sure it's just BS to get money out of me.

Who should I turn to in order to fix this problem?

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

I don't have a definite answer for you.

Does the check engine light come on while driving? If so, stop by an autozone and have them read the codes. Post the actual number on here. i.e. P1234

Are the maintenance items up to date, like spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, etc.?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered

Ill go to autozone asap.

Does the CEL have to be on in order to read the codes?

I've replaced the spark plugs recently but not the rotor or distributor cap since I've had the car (2+ years).

Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

It's supposed to store the errors, so normally the lamp doesn't have to be on.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 AM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered

Apparently Autozone doesn't read codes anymore.

Or the guy was just lazy.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Where are you? I've heard about A-Z not doing that anymore in certain areas, maybe for fear of liability? It would be good to know where.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered

San Diego.

I'll have to try to squeeze some time to go to a local mechanic sometime this week.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:35 AM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered

Went to the mechanic, don't remember the error code, but it's a c20? sensor or something, the one that controls the RPMs when idling. I had to leave for work before he could find out where/how to replace it. Will go back tomorrow.

Does anybody know if I can buy it at autozone or do I have to special order it?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:28 AM
HurricaneHugo
Unregistered

Ok error code was P1164 and it was an A/F Sensor Range, something like that.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

That's the front O2 sensor, but since it's P1164 (rather than P013something) and you're in California, I THINK(?) that means you have a ULEV engine and a SPECIAL wideband sensor. Which may or may not be available at autozone-type places.

Make sure the store knows what engine you have. Does the valve cover say ULEV? Look at the engine block just to the left of the exhaust manifold, right alongside the split between engine & transmission. On a flat spot, the engine type & serial # are stamped. Engine type should be something like F23A1 or F23A5.

Quick Reply: '99 Accord Ex Coupe (4-cyl, 130k miles) stalling while idling