General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord kills while driving

Old 12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Default 99 accord kills while driving

my 99 accord is killing while driving. after it kills if you put it in park the key light will not show on the dash until you hit the steering column. when you hit it the key light will come back on and the car will start again. any ideas as to what the problem is?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

killing? dies? you mean tyou hit the steering wheel and then the car starts? if thats the case you may have a bad ignition switch and could cause all the problems you're telling us... did the check engine light went on?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM

yeah he'll (DH) be driving and it'll just die. and yeah, hitting the steering wheel will make it start. check engine light is not on. the ignition switch is what we think it is also and we're hoping to fix it ourselves

Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

One way to verify the ignition switch is to start the car. While it is running, shake the key to see if you can get it to stall out. If you can, you pretty much verified the electrical portion the ignition switch.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

You mentioned the immobilizer lamp (green key). That uses a ring antenna around the lock cylinder (#17) so maybe there's a loose connection with that.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is a recall on ign switch .. did you ever get it done ???

call the dealer , give them the VIN # see if your car is part of the recall

Old 12-17-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
there is a recall on ign switch .. did you ever get it done ???

call the dealer , give them the VIN # see if your car is part of the recall

we did not get it fixed but i don't know that we can even easily get it to the dealership at this point without a tow b/c it kills so easily (and no towing on our insurance). i did look online and i am pretty sure that ours was part of the recall though. i guess i should call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say about that

Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM

ok so i called and they said that our car was part of the recall but that it had already been replaced so we're on our own for it

Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, maybe you're on your own for it. But the recall simply replaced the switch with the same kind of switch. It's not re-designed any better than the original, so the replacement can fail too.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM

I had this same issue with my 99 coupe, i replaced the ignition switch but no luck, ended up being the main relay on the steering column, have not had a problem since.

hope that helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 accord kills while driving