General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 accord transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Default 99 accord transmission problem

I just bought a 99 accord lx 3.0 AT about a month ago and has about 220000 on it. It was leaking a little bit of tranny fluid and it shifted kind of hard but it wasn't slipping. I was going along and I heard a noise not real loud but you could definetly hear it and all of a sudden it was like i was in neutral. I coasted for quite a while until I could find a place to get off the road. The car had a little trail of tranny fluid behind it but only like the last thirty feet behind me and I coasted for about a mile. The car would shift through the gears but only made a noise when i went to put it into park. It would make a grinding noise. I towed it home jacked it up cleaned it up and started it and couldnt find any leak that looked like it had when i was pulling of the road. I then had a buddy put it through the gears and it made that grinding noise where the cv goes into the tranny. So my buddy helped me take out the axle drivers side and there wasnt anything wrong with it. I then drained the fluid and it had a bit of burnt smell to it but there were only a few shavings on the plug no big chunks of anything I'm not a mechanic by any means and am not sure what else I could do or try. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. I just want to find out if the transmission is completly gone or if it could be something less expensive. I'm sorry if I posted this wrong it's my first. Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

The 98-02 accord transmissions had a design flaw and have high failure rates. It is likely that the transmission had an internal failure and is toast. It probably needs rebuilt or replaced.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Default how do i get the codes

I've been reading alot of threads about codes. Is there a way to get codes from my car that would identify the exact problem.Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM

So it won't move and grinding noise in Park ? If you got a trail of tranny fluid leak for 30ft then the leak should still be there, You said it was leaking alittle bit before, did you see where was it coming from ? Did you check both axles make sure they both in they both all the way in?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by danrayburn
I've been reading alot of threads about codes. Is there a way to get codes from my car that would identify the exact problem.Thanks
Is there check engine light on ? Codes only tells you if it's electrical related, it can't tell if the diff is blown, if the axle popped out, or fluid leak

Old 08-24-2011, 06:56 PM

yeah they are both in

Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM

no I couldnt find where the leak was b/c my wife took the car to autozone and instead of them plouring the tranny fluid into the fill hole with the bolt that says atf on it they tried putting it into the dipstick hole plus they put there cheap *** tranny fluid in it.She said they lost about a quart wich made it really hard to spot the leak. I have it full of fluid know and all cleaned up and have let it run for a while and can't spot the leak for sure but it seems to be coming from where the axle goes into the tranny

Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM

thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM

So the leak is coming from the driver side axle seal right ? Shut the car off and see if you can get under there safely, wiggle the inner side of the axle and wiggle it up and down and see if there is any play in it.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM

yeah there is a little play i take that back there is all kins of playlike its wobbling around

Last edited by danrayburn; 08-24-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 accord transmission problem