99 accord transmission trouble - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 accord transmission trouble

Old 12-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Default RE: 99 accord transmission trouble

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the trans is gone. 98-02 accords were notorious for having slushbox automatic transmissions. About 50% of them were toast within 100k miles.

If I were you, I would get rid of the car. If you getsomeone to rebuild or replace the trans, there is a 50% chance that the same thing will happen again.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:15 PM

Yeah Falkore24 had his trans go out not too long ago. He traded his in (took a hit for the blown trans)and bought a Scion TC (traitor [:'(]).

Several people have had their trans replaces under the Honda extended waranty (Your's is already out of the window I am aftraid - 7 years or 100k miles I think - but you might want to double check on that.) But many of the people who had their trans replaced....the trans went out again and was replaced a 3rd time - it seems the 3rd one had held up in most cases I have read about, or else the owner just got rid of the car.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could invest $1800 in a rebuild of the tranny and turn the car around and sell it right away, making no mention of the transmission.

Warranty is 109,000 miles.
http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd
If I were you, I would get rid of the car. If you getsomeone to rebuild or replace the trans, there is a 50% chance that the same thing will happen again.
Really?

The OP didn't tell us the mileage, but this could be a $5,000-$8,000 car. I don't think junking it is the right way to go about this, especially if you can find a reasonable priced rebuild. If this is the four cylinder version, those transmissions are not nearly as unreliable. Either way, on a nice car, it is worth the repair. I've never seen a transmission repair come with anything less than a one year warranty, so he can at least keep it that long. It makes a lot more financial sense than simply "getting rid of the car".

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM

I had similar problem with my 99 accord auto. It turned out to be my ECM. Replaced the ECM and now transmission is working fine.

I would suggest getting the code checked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 accord transmission trouble

Advertising

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.