General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM
z/man
Unregistered
Default '99 Accord won't start

My '99 Accord shut down while driving and now won't start. Mechanic checked for codes,fuel pressure,relays, computer etc. Did all tests that he could find. Plugs all firing and nice white spark.Timing marks all line up. Car turns over but won't fire. If you put gas into a vacuum line on the intake it attempts to start but will not fire up. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: '99 Accord won't start

Problem appears to be fuel delivery. When you turn keyswitch to ON, you should hear a couple of clicks from under the dash (main fuel relay closing), and soft whirr from the trunk area of fuel pump running for 2-3 secs, then relay opens and pump goes off. If you hear nothing (no clicks from under dash also), the main fuel relay is likely your problem, although it could be the fuel pump sticking in one position (I had this happen on 94EX). Try "hammering" the keyswitch from Acc to On repeated times. If that kicks over the fuel pump, then fuel pump may need to be replaced. Main Fuel Relay should click on (two clicks) each time you turn keyswitch to ON. Main Fuel Relay is much more likely than fuel pump.

good luck

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Since it fires (at least momentarily) when you add gas, it sounds like you have spark but no gas.

You have fuel pressure at the rail, but that doesnt prove the injectors are firing. At the wiring connections to the injectors, theres one wire on each thats all the same color (black/yellow?) - that wire should have battery voltage while the key is ON. Check that.

For each injector the OTHER wire (4 different colors) goes to the ECU. The ECU switches that GROUND side of the injector circuit. If you get this far, ask for further instructions. I dont have a wiring drawing any more for that car (I used to have a 98).

Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 PM
z/man
Unregistered

All fuel tests were already done. Pump and relay checks out OK.Tonight he brought a NOID tester over and checked the wiring for the injectors. All fine. We then took the fuel bar and injectors off and hooked it back up off the engine. While cranking the engine all injectors spray fuel fine. While using a timing light when cranking the engine the light fires right at top dead center. The car now keeps trying to start even without adding any extrafuel to the intake. Can the coil be weak even if the spark is nice and white? Mechanic is bringing a coil checker tomorrow. Even though we know it is spraying gas the plugs are not wet. Any ideas?

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Testing the coil is a good idea, but I think that there should be enough current to cause combustion if the timing light is flashing.

You might want to do a compression test on all the cylinders. Lack of compression could be the cause of the problem.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"While using a timing light when cranking the engine the light fires right at top dead center."

Timing light should fire at the timing mark (15-17 btdc on earlier models) not TDC. It may be set to TDC on these models and controlled by ECU. If this is an adjustable distributor, timing should be set to spec.

good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Isnt a good spark supposed to be blue? Maybe the coil IS weak, so dont be afraid to test it.

My 98 didnt have an adjustable distributor anyway. Timing was controlled by a sensor at the crankshaft.

16 BTDC is probably too early during cranking with the starter. I wouldnt be surprised if its programmed to fire closer to TDC. That 16 BTDC is for when the engine is warmed up & idling.