General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 EX V6 Dash Lights

Old 07-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Default 99 EX V6 Dash Lights

The dash lights recently flashed/blinked (battery, oil, lights, etc). Wondering if anyone has seen this happen.
I have the CEL on for P0401, Insufficient EGR flow, and I haven't had a chance to fix it. I need to buy the kit and put it in. Unfortunately I'm at 95K miles and past the warranty.

I'm thinking the two things are related, but thought I'd ask. I used to work for an OEM as an engine calibrator and if a CEL was left on too long, we would set "false" failures to encourage the driver to bring it in.

Just thinking out loud...any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Default RE: 99 EX V6 Dash Lights

New info:

While troubleshooting, I noticed that this happens during hard accels. Someone suggested alternator, but it seems to be working OK (At least when I checked it.)

Any ideas?

Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Upon checking my sources all I can find is that there is a possiability that the EGR Solenoid itself could be sending the real code or the false code to the C E L..what's the take on that part Lance..and By the way..how have you been?? we haven't seen you around for a while..Welcome Back to the HAF...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-16-2006, 02:13 AM

I'm around, I guess I just don't post very much.
I like this forum. It's more friendly and informative than others.

I did a general web search and apparently this is not a unique problem. Dash goes nuts and then there's a persistent whining sound. I haven't found a definitive answer, but they all point to alternator.

When I checked the alternator it was reading 13V. Later I checked the battery and it has only 12V, while running at idle.

It sounds like the alt could be the problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing things, but considering how much OEM Honda parts can cost, I want to make sure I'm replacing the right thing, not just throwing parts at it.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you should check to see if your car has had the recall done on it for EGR. You can register your car with owner link and it will tell you if the recall has been completed. IF not you can do it yourself as honda sells the EGR kit

Old 07-16-2006, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Lance Link

I did a general web search and apparently this is not a unique problem. Dash goes nuts and then there's a persistent whining sound. I haven't found a definitive answer, but they all point to alternator.

When I checked the alternator it was reading 13V. Later I checked the battery and it has only 12V, while running at idle.

It sounds like the alt could be the problem.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing things, but considering how much OEM Honda parts can cost, I want to make sure I'm replacing the right thing, not just throwing parts at it.

Sounds like a bad alternator to me. The noise and dash lights coming on just about clinches it. Plus your voltage readings are low. Put an alternator on it.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:50 PM

a cpuple of things......

# 1 ,, it sounds l;ije a bad alternator Honda had issues with those on the v6 , they were made by DELPHI ..JUnk..........i have replaced a bunch of them on v6s ,, before you replace it , make sure all the connections going to alt are plugged in properly

# 2 ..you rally DO NOT have to install the EGR flow kit from honda,, .....The Kit consists of an EGR valve and a tube ,, to install the tube you have to drill the intake manifold bigger and fit the tube in the manifold, all the directions are on the kit,,,,,,,,OR ,, you can just remove the intake manifold, clean the passage and wait another 50-60k miles before the passage might get plugged and the lite comes on again..

Old 07-16-2006, 08:23 PM

I was thinking about doing that. I'm not too thrilled about drilling the manifold.
Do you think I should buy new gaskets anyway.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:26 PM

I was comtimplating aftermarket alt. Big price difference. If the Dephi's are junk, that settles it.

Any suggestions on brands.

Old 07-17-2006, 04:39 AM

you need a new gasket for the throttle plate assembly but as far as the intake manifold gasket goes you should be able to reuse it,,,,,,,,,,I have not had to replace one as of yet ..Honda does not inclute a manifold gasket with the kit..

AS far as alternator goes get a BOSCH ,, as far as non factory goes i have had the best luck with them ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 EX V6 Dash Lights