General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

99 Honda Accord EX Remote Trunk Release Problem

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Default 99 Honda Accord EX Remote Trunk Release Problem

Good evening everyone,

I have a problem with the remote release function on my 1999 Honda Accord EX. The lock,unlock and panic all work fine. I replaced the trunk release mechanism today because I read that these things go bad...well no dice.
I can open the trunk with my key as well as open from inside the car with the lever on the drivers side seat. Does anyone have any idea on what might be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

When/how did it quit working? Was any work done right before it quit?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Hi Blake,

Well I have been living with this problem for far to long, probably like 4 years or so out of pure laziness but as far back as I can remember I want to say that it stopped working after someone rear ended me on the expressway and when I got my car back from the body shop I didnt check on this function until like 2 weeks later and I was told by the body shop that it was to late to make a claim like that.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you try to release w/ keyfob, do you hear the solenoid "click" or dead silence? If silence, you have an electrical problem; bad fuse, wiring, or connector interupting the circuit.

If you hear a click w/o unlocking, the solenoid is mispositioned and unable to function the lock (possible accident consequence).

I tried to move your post from DIY, and something went wrong. Glad to see you reposted.

good luck

Old 04-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Hello Texashonda,

Well when I installed the new mechanism yesterday and plugged into the cars wiring I heard like a cycling sound but after I closed the trunk and pressed the remote release it is dead silent. I dont hear anything trying to open. I am guessing it is an electrical problem like you mentioned. Thanks for your input and yes I originally posted in the DIY section and after realized my problem was better suited to be posted here. Newbies error. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

4 years... you remember that you have to press & hold the trunk button like 2 seconds for it to open?

You've already been in there to replace it... So can you unplug the wiring harness & check to see that there's a voltage pulse when you press & hold the remote button? You want to decide whether it's a bad latch unit vs. problem in the car.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Jim,

Yes I remembered to hold the trunk button on the remote for more than 2 seconds and still nothing. Also just took the multimeter to the connector and there is 12.70v running constantly to the orange/ gray wire and the red/ white wire I beleive. The blue wires have no voltage my multimeter just floats around. The only other thing I can add is that when I connect the connectors together again it trips the alarm, dont know if thats important to disclose or not.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think you probably should check the DIY secton for the sticky-thread about manuals. Download the one for your years (98-99 or 98-02 or something like that). It might be an .iso file so you either have to burn it to a CD or mount it as a virtual drive or something like that.

That'll have better troubleshooting procedure. I used to have a 98 but my trunk latch never screwed up. And I sold the shop manual. I don't remember which wires are supposed to do what back there.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Hi Jim,

I just wanted to mention somehting that happened to me today indirectlyhaving to do with my ongoing problem of the remote trunk release. Today I was doing some other work on the car and I had the negative terminal off the battery when I put it back on the truck opened.
Dont know if thats of any importance but thought I would mention it. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

How many wires go to the electrical connector for the trunk actuator? See if the black wire has a closed circuit to ground.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Honda Accord EX Remote Trunk Release Problem