General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Sedan EX V6 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Default 99 Sedan EX V6 No Start

Any suggestions?
Yesterday, my Accord did not start when I turned the key, no crank. Started OK on the second try. Battery/dash/lights are OK. Today, it will not start or crank, just the clicking. I'm thinking it's the starter, but I was looking for any suggestions based on past experience. Should I use Honda starter? Could it be something else?
Thanks.

I'm assuming its unrelated, but my headlight went out about 4 days ago, and it was only 6 months old.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Default RE: 99 Sedan EX V6 No Start

The most common reason I've seen this happen is a loose power wire... if your wires are connected well to the battery and the starter and free from corrosion then I'd think it's the cylenoid on the starter... Just get one from your auto store (I'd advise staying away from Checker/Shucks/Cragen (sp) I used to deliever parts for them and there is a reason why there is a lifetime warranty on their alternators and starters...)

Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Default RE: 99 Sedan EX V6 No Start

Thanks for the info.
I noticed a lot of corrosion on the terminals. After cleaning them and reconnecting, it got better, but it still occurred twice (out of 15 starts.) It was happening every time.
I decided to put a new battery on since the one in the car was getting old, but mostly because one of the acid caps was missing.

I'm going to shop for starters now. Thanks for the heads up on Checkers/Shucks/Cragen.
Any suggestions on starters. I shop at Murray's a lot. They're like any other place, but they usually have what I need at a decent price. Even for my 90 Camry.