General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 V-Tech Surging once warm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Default 99 V-Tech Surging once warm?

Hello Guy's! Been a while since you all sraightened me out with the issues I had on my 96 Accord. So now My Son just bought a 99 Accord with the V-tech engine and standard shift. We no nothing about the car only that it ran good when we picked it up and now it's surging at idle once fully warm. The car has 220k on and seemed to run decent that was until it began doing the surge.
Where to begin? I have Haynes manual to go by but would love some tips.
Going to tart searching the forum thought I would throw a post up and see what you all think. I need to add that there are no CEL's presant at this time.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by schoust; 12-13-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'd start with a good cleaning of the TB.

Next, if you cover the "lower port" inside of the TB does the surge still happen?

Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Hello Poorman,I love your user name! In fact that name probobly can be used among a lot of us (working Poor)! That aside. I just got done messing around with the car. The 1st thing that I did was start it up get it warm and see if I could make it happen again,no dice. The drn thing ran perfect lol! So I thought I would check a few things out. I began by looking for a vacuum leak with modded propane tank. No vac. Leaks. Then I thought I would jump in and clean the throttle body which appeared preaty clean,so I cleaned it anyway. That down I decided to pull th Iac and clean the carbon out of the ports,honestly that wasn't all that bad either. So I put it back together and fired it up. Bingo it begins surging again. This time it stopped as quikly as it started??? Now what lol? I can try what you have sugested and see what I find. Whatever it is it's intermittent and not tripping any Cels.? Not sure what's happening yet.....

Old 12-14-2014, 06:40 PM

In addition to starting with poorman's recommendation, also look to see if the throttle cable is moving freely. Sometimes they get gummed up or the linkages on the throttle body will. Better yet, get the car to do it again and then use your foot to lift up/pry up on the gas pedal and see if the problem goes away. If so then you have an idea of what you are dealing with.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:19 AM

Peddle is fine. My son shot me text this am on the way to work he got a CEL so maybe we will see this afternoon what the issue is?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Post the actual code on here (like P1234).

I think in 1998, the accord only had an IAC with only one port in the throttle body and didn't have an FITV. I could definitely be wrong on that.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 AM

I believe that the code read P1519 Idle Air Control Valve Circuit Failure. I reset the computer and it seems to run OK aside from the intermittent surge that has not happened since the cleaning. I'm wondering if I set that code when I cleaned the thing??

Old 12-16-2014, 05:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Fast idle throttle valve.. i think thats it. I had this issue with mine.. took apart the entire throttle body and issue went away

Old 12-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

There is not fast idle valve on this car. Start inspecting the electrical connection to the IACV.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 AM

I have inspected that wiring and all seems to be ok so far since the reset of that particular CEL. Question will the computer pick up and issue with the IAC circuit if the battery was not disconnected? The reason I ask is we had not seen any CELS at all associated with that surge until the removal and cleaning of the valve that is. I typically always kill the battery before starting any process such as that. Since cleaning the IAC the car has not surged and there have been no more CELS

Quick Reply: 99 V-Tech Surging once warm?