General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A123 code - aout when did you first see this code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM
Default A123 code - aout when did you first see this code?

I took my 2009 EX-L in to the Dealer because of engine misfire. They said it needed new plugs, 1 through 4, and a software update. We'll see. At least the extended warranty covered it.

My "maintenance minder" was at 15% so I told them to go ahead and change the oil. Now, I am pretty sure that the maintenance code I saw before bringing the car in was " A12 ". However, the Dealer called and said I should also be changing the transmission fluid. He said "you must have seen a ' 3 ' code by now."

My question, do any of you remember about when your "3" code came up? My car has 30,120 miles on it and I don't believe I have yet to see a "3" code.

He also recommended flushing the brake lines and power steering. I have done those things to cars in the past, but I don't believe Honda recommends them at this point.

Thanks for any info!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The shop manual indicates that ATF should be changed at 60K miles if driven in mountainous conditions or slow speeds heavily. No "normal mileage" is given, but presumably would be greater than 60K miles.

If I interpreted maintenance minder logic, ATF change should be a B3 code.

Check your owner's manual to confirm.

As usual service rep is fattening wallet at customer expense. Actually, they get bonuses for selling services. Talk about conflict of interest.

Brake fluid flush should be done every 2-3 yrs IMO and most moderators agree w/ this position I believe. However no change interval is specified in maintenance schedule.

PS fluid flush is another "money maker" for shop. There is no scheduled maintenance on PS fluid.