General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Ok, so as I've posted in another thread "Vibration and obnoxious noise" I'm having some difficulties. Thanks to PAhonda I'm pretty sure it's the wheel bearing. Having said this I do know how to change the bearing/hub assembly and I have the manual to help me along. My problem now; considering I really need to get this changed and can't afford to take it to a shop to do so, is that I only got the bearings themselves (expecting the assembly). I tried a spare assembly from my parts car and found a way to press out the hub from the bearing but part of the bearing got stuck and I can't get it off without damaging it. I can't chance this with the ones on the car and I can't find any individual hubs anywhere except for on the internet. I have no idea what sites I can trust. I looked on Hondapartsnow.com and hondaautomotiveparts.com but I can't find what I'm looking for. I did however find a pair of bearing/hub assemblies on am-autoparts.com for a very reasonable price. With this I have two questions: Can I trust this site? If so, are these parts of any measurable quality compared to the genuine Honda parts? If someone could help me find either a reliable source for hubs alone or the full assembly I would appreciate it so so so much... Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Potzi!; 11-30-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

What part of the bearing is stuck on the hub? Is it the inner race?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

There's an Eric the Car Guy video on youtube showing how he uses an abrasive cutting wheel to make a diagonal slice in the inner race and a chisel to pop the race open and off. It works perfectly. Freeze the hub and let the bearing warm in the sun then, using the old inner race as a guide, pound the new bearing on.

Wear safety glasses when chiseling on the inner race.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Smile Good Post

Originally Posted by Roader
There's an Eric the Car Guy video on youtube showing how he uses an abrasive cutting wheel to make a diagonal slice in the inner race and a chisel to pop the race open and off. It works perfectly. Freeze the hub and let the bearing warm in the sun then, using the old inner race as a guide, pound the new bearing on.

Wear safety glasses when chiseling on the inner race.
I also use Eric the Car Guy quite often...and I went and watched that video and it looks as tho that is an easier way to get that done if that is your problem..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!-100_0857pt1005bx.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You should buy a hub/bearing assembly to avoid having to remove old bearing and install new, which will require machine shop support to accomplish.

Check rockauto for aftermarket parts at reasonable prices, excelllent service, and low cost delivery. I haven't had a bad experience w/ them and have used them quite a bit.

good luck

Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I think I have the problem of the inner race being stuck fixed, and I got a bearing/hub assembly put together, my problem now is that I would like to get the knuckle off the car but I can't seem to get my jaw puller to properly grip the lower control arm. This is the only method I'm currently familiar with to pop it off the ball joint. Any ideas as to how I can make this easier?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Upper or lower.(EDIT: I see you say lower arm now)...are you going to be replacing the ball joint?

There are a several options, a few to think about...the pickle fork will work, however you will most likely tear up the boot on the ball joint....that is why I asked if you are going to replace it. Then there is a "well placed" hit with your favorite BFH, that will "shock" it loose. Not sure it you are using a regular puller or one designed for ball joints, see if you can rent a ball joint puller.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM

I vote for a BFH, wins every time lol.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

A hammer will work by hitting what the ball joint bolt goes through.

Most parts stores have loaner tools. There are two sizes of pitman pullers typically. I think the bigger one works on the lower ball joint, but rent them both just to be sure. I put the nut on the ball joint bolt, so I don't mushroom the bolt. Lubricate the ball joint boot with some grease so the metal part of the puller doesn't tear the boot. Try to push up the boot and slide the metal part between the boot and the lower control arm. Use the bolt part of the puller to apply pressure to the bottom of the bolt.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

BFH in video: Oops, Axle and Ball Joint Replacement, Eric the Car Guy, brought to you by youtube.