General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs disable???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Default Abs disable???

Is there a way to easily disable ABS in a way that it can also be enabled again with out causing damage to the system? Like a fuse or relay I could pull? Keep in mind i still want to drive the car. The car is a 95 Accord EXR I4 Vtec Coupe.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Abs disable???

pull e-brake up just enough to turn light on
drive away
when abs light comes on release ebrake

Old 06-07-2006, 11:06 AM

one silly question .........

why do you want to disable the ABS ?? .........is the pump noisy?? runs all the time ?? lite on ??

Old 06-07-2006, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: blackpearlv6

Is there a way to easily disable ABS in a way that it can also be enabled again with out causing damage to the system? Like a fuse or relay I could pull? Keep in mind i still want to drive the car. The car is a 95 Accord EXR I4 Vtec Coupe.
Just pull the fuses.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM

Well the problem is actualy with my sisters car she has been having problems with the abs sytem kicking in all the time when she brakes regardless of conditions. Somtimes the abs light comes on and when the light is on she doesn't have any problems. So I was thinking just to be sure it's an abs problem and not something with her actual braking sytem we'd disable the system and see if the problem stops. She's not too worried about having abs anyway so if it turn out to be the abs and it'll be a costly repair, she'd just leave it disabled. The normal brake system should remain unaffeceted? Yes?

Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Just pull the fuses.
which fuses exactly, just the ones in the abs fuse/relay compartment any others?

Old 06-07-2006, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

Just pull the fuses.
which fuses exactly, just the ones in the abs fuse/relay compartment any others?

just those wil do the job.....you will have the abs lite come on and stay on all the time ..

Old 06-11-2006, 07:47 PM

According to what I have read over the years, ABS extends the stopping distance for a vehicle which means you need to allow for more distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Even Honda states in our owners manual that extra distance is required for stopping.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 PM

the ABS system on the car acts like on anti-skid..........If you have ever driven in snow, slippery roads, and need to come to a stop, if you just leave the brake pedal depressed, the car will start to skid,, ( been there , done that ) so what you need to do to minimize the skid is to depress and let go on the brake peadal ( as if like pumping ) so car will not skid as when brakes are locked up ,, ( if you just left foot on the brakes) ..........Well ABS system does that for you, that is the pulsation that you feel under your foot ,, with abs, it pumps the brakes a lot faster than any human can so it will minimize by a great deal the skidding and the stopping distance as if a human where to pump up the pedal ........

so since abs pumps the brakes and not totally locking them up,, the stopping distance will be a bit longer than if stopping with foot planted on the brakes ,,

Old 06-12-2006, 11:47 PM

I had the anti-brakes on my 96 Accord EXL disconnected for $80.00 at the dealer, as it kept using brake fluid. The part alone is almost $1500.00 not including the labor

Quick Reply: Abs disable???