General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Default ABS light

Hey guys. I've been having this problem with my ABS light lately. It will only come on and stay on once I go over 45mph. I drove it in the city all day yesterday and it didnt come on once. But once I hit the highway and got over like 45-50 it came on and stayed on. And when I turn the car off and turn it back on, the light is gone. I know for a fact that I need rearbrakes cause they are starting to grind. But would that have anything to do with it?
Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ABS light

You need to retrieve and post the error codes stored in the ECU.

Go to the link below and click on "CEL Check Engine Light code retrieval". All you need is a paper clip to bridge the connection. Look at the ABS light when you turn the key to the II position. The ABS codes are stored as a main code and a sub-code. Each short blink will count add 1 for the main code. You will get a pause then the next set of blinks will add 1 for the sub-code.

So, blink, blink, blink, pause, blink, blink will be 3-2. I think that the codes will repeat one more time so you can double check, or turn the key off then to II again to start over.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

Old 03-30-2007, 11:56 AM

thanks for the input. Im going to try that later on today and get back to you guys with the code.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:19 PM

I bought a '94 coupe last week and have the very same symptom except the relay picks up and seals in at 65mph. I'll check my codes also.

Please do get back and respond to what you found.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:33 PM

hey guys
i did what PAhonda suggested, and it gave me three blinks-pause-two blinks. can anyone help me find out what that code means? thanks again

Old 04-02-2007, 08:44 PM

was it three long 2 short or the other way around? long blinks are 10's short are 1's.... so it's either 23 or 32....

Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

3 - 2 in the old ('94) system is the left-front pulser. Take a look at the CV joint where it has a toothed ring for the ABS sensor.

ABS sensor is magnetic - crud & metal shavingsstuck to it?
Any teeth broken off the ring?

If the wiring for the sensor was flaky (corroded plugs) I thinkit should set code 4-2 instead. But it can't hurt to check the wiring.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

For ABS its only one digit codes a-b, where a can range from 1-8 and b can be 1-12

In my manual a 3-2 code is a problem with your front-left wheel pulser. The left means driver's side so the front driver's side wheel.

Causes: The teeth on your axle can be chipped or dirty. Also the abs sensor isn't aligned/installed properly or dirty too.

The 3-2 means that the sensor reads correctly at least part of the time, so the sensor itself should be ok.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Im going to take a look at it first thing tommorow. But from what it seems, it shouldnt be a big deal. I'm just glad that it doesnt seem to be something pricey to fix. Hopefully just a good cleaning and mabye a quick glance at it on the lift at my buddies shop.
I appreciate all the info. You guys rock!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

was it three long 2 short or the other way around? long blinks are 10's short are 1's.... so it's either 23 or 32....
Just for grins...
On that older ABS system, there's no long blinks. It goes like this:

You pull these codes the same way you pull check-engine codes, but it's the ABS light that's blinking. Here's the sequence...

Insert the jumper, then turn on the key.

Long (2sec.) flash - long (2sec.) pause - this isn't the code yet.

Short flashes for the first digit of the code - 1sec. pause - short flashes for the 2nd digit. Long (5-second) pause, then the next code.

(94-97) ABS DTCs...
1 - ABS pump motor over-run
1 2ABS pump motor
1 3 high pressure leakage
1 4 pressure switch
1 8 high pressure system
2 1 parking brake
3 1 pulser RF
3 2 pulser LF
3 4 pulser RR
3 8 pulser LR
3 12 different diameter tires
4 1 wheel sensor RF
4 2 wheel sensor LF
4 4 wheel sensor RR
4 8 wheel sensor LR
5 - rear wheel lock - R/L
5 4 rear wheel lock - R
5 8 rear wheel lock - L
6 - fail-safe relay - F/R
6 1 fail-safe relay - F
6 4 fail-safe relay - R
7 1 solenoid - RF
7 2 solenoid - LF
7 4 solenoid - R
8 1 ABS function
8 2 CPU comparison
8 4 IC self-check

There's NO long flashes, it's all short flashes with short & long pauses in between.

Beginning in '98 there's a whole different ABS system, with a different list of codes.

Quick Reply: ABS light