Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   ABS Light ?????? 94 EX ACCORD (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/abs-light-94-ex-accord-21933/)

JimBlake 11-25-2008 10:36 AM

RE: ABS Light ?????? 94 EX ACCORD

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Fluid should not go down then back up. Itsounds like theres air in there...
So maybe that behavior is caused by a bad check valve? Not necessarily caused byair in the ABS?

I suppose if bleeding fixes everything, then you can celebrate your success. Either way, post back & tell us what happens.

TexasHonda 11-25-2008 11:38 AM

The internal valves are not repairable. I tried disassembly and it must require some special tools. Not a complicated beast, but not designed for diy'r to poke around and fix.

You can buy used ABS modulators for ~$50. Try car-part.com to run one down near your zip code. Make sure to get a garuntee for a working part as parts yard won't know since they merely strip the unit from a junked car. I've done this and had to buy a 2nd modulator to get a good one. Still spent only about $125 total.

good luck

mango02 11-25-2008 05:33 PM

I got my computer up YEAH!!! The pump cycles and the level goes up and down with the pump. Will bleed but Bleed Port points STRAIGHT UP you do not want to miss or you will get in the EYE!

JimBlake 11-26-2008 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: mango02

...Bleed Port points STRAIGHT UP you do not want to miss or you will get in the EYE!
Hence my warning about high pressure & barely opening the bleeder. Ive been told that if you open too far, the pressure is high enough to cut thru your skin.

mango02 01-03-2009 03:14 PM

I bled the ABS module several times no AIR in system. Light would aluminate like always. Now the pump runs none stop at start up until the ABS light aluminates and pump turns off about 20 secounds. The code I get now just ONE blink then you wait about 5 secounds and you get another blink it does that 3 times. Blink wait 5 secounds, blink wait 5 secounds and blink wait 5 secounds. What should I replace first?????

TexasHonda 01-03-2009 03:53 PM

You have fault code 1.

There are 8 possibile faults listed in the shop manual. I suggest downloading the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY section for details. Circuit diagram will help any repairs. Many are not repairable faults. Here is summary:

* Pressure Switch (P-SW) Stuck On (not repairable)
* Open between P-SW and ABS Control Unit (unlikely but repairable)
* Open in P-SW circuit between the P-SW and body ground or poor ground (repairable)
* Drop in Pump Discharge Volume (failing pump not repairable)
* Leaking outlet valve (internal leak not repairable)
* Leaking relief valve (internal leak not repairable)
* ABS brake fluid leakage
* Faulty ABS control unit

Used modulator is probably easiest repair, unless it a wiring faultis found.

good luck

mango02 01-04-2009 03:21 PM

Ok will try to find a Modulator it should be a complete unit, remove and replace wow that sounds soooo easy. This might turn into a head ache corrosion on lines. One big QUESTION can you remove the unit and cap all the lines and operate the car?

TexasHonda 01-04-2009 06:43 PM

You can disable by simply pulling ABS fuse. The ABS controller will set the ABS light. A simple effective fix is to pull the ABS light bulb or cover w/ black electrical tape. Don't laugh, my Dad did this and I didn't notice until he pointed it out.

good luck

mango02 01-05-2009 07:01 PM

ABS lightCODE out on your emission inspection? I know it's not CEL. The steel lines are all coroded not sure if it's worth the pain of ripping up all the tubbing trying to change the modulator. Willpull the ABS fuse the pump makes a racket when you start up.